Runner-Up Of Awwthentic Poetry Contest

Interview with Madbooks

1) How old were you when you first began writing? What inspired you?

> I began writing when I was only nine, about five years ago. A tree I saw in a field made me think of a book I could write. So I did.

2) Your favorite authors and poets?

> Oh, my. Rainbow Rowell, Charles Dickens, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Green, Rick Riordan, Cassandra Clare, J.K. Rowling, Langston Hughes, and Melissa de la Cruz.

3) Why is poetry important to you? What prompted you to begin writing poetry?

> Poetry is easier than a book; there aren't any names or settings. Each time I write a poem, I think about my hardships, because even though I'm young, I've had quite a few. I started writing poetry about two years ago, just thinking of songs and how I could make one similar. Then there was a poetry contest in my school district, so I entered and I won first place in my grade and in the district.

4) How was the journey as the participant of the 'Awwthentic Poetry Contest?"

> It was fun, and at times it was a bit confusing. In the end, though, it paid off.

5) Do you really given it a thought that you will win?

> Honestly, I know I have some skill (as many people have commented), but I read the other poems and thought, "What am I doing? I'm the amateur here."

6) Did you read the poems other submitted in the contest? Which one is your favorite among them?

> I read almost all of them. I can't exactly pick a favorite, because they were all amazing.

7) On the average, how long does it usually take you to create a poem from thought to completion?

> I type fast because I never want to let a thought go, so it normally takes me under thirty minutes.

8) Has your idea of what poetry is changed since you began writing poems?

> Oh yes. Back when I was younger, poetry was a song because I liked to sing. Now poetry tells my story in little ways; yelling, divorce, getting away, moving on, all of it. My story isn't completely in a poem, but part of it is there.

9) Your favorite poem written by you and why.

> "Will You Ever?" because I love the lyrics, and I still feel that why with a confusing relationship with my guy-friend/crush who flirts with a lot of girls.

10) Do you sit and think through every word of every stanza or do you just write freely and allowing the words to flow?

> A mixture of both. When I write poetry, I say the words out loud when I began, but as the poem begins to come to life, the words flow.

11) Are there any forms you haven't tried but would like to?

> I don't know. I generally stay out of forums, which is surprising considering the recent rise in followers. I think I'd like to test them out more; I think at first I just wrote them off.

12) Your message to your readers.

> None

Favorites.

Favorite Book: "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell or one of Cassandra Clare's books.

Poem: "Dreams" by Langston Hughes.

Movie: Mulan. I'm still a kid at heart.

Music: Alternative, punk, rock, indie. I'm not too picky.

Song: "Dead in the Water" by Ellie Goulding.

Quote: "Sometimes before it gets better the darkness gets bigger. The person you'd take a bullet for is behind the trigger." -Fall Out Boy

Season: Winter. Most people who live in Illinois hate it, but because I used to live in Florida I love it.

Thanks!

Feedbacks to this Interview are Welcome.

Enjoy Reading!

Thank you.

Awwthentic~