The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 93

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle—A Zootopia Fanfiction

-----------------------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 11 –The Fire Next Time
(Pt. 1)

Judy flattened herself against the wall, reaching with her paw and feeling for the keypad next to the door. On the opposite side of the doorframe, Nick Wilde was holding a pocket-mirror, tilting it so that his partner could see the control-panel without actually looking at it.

No way were they going to open this door while standing directly in front of it...or even in front of the access panel.

Both of them were dressed in their civvies. The Chief's text, (if the sender was Bogo,) had warned them in so many words that secrecy was absolutely vital. With that in mind, they had each decided separately to leave the cop-clothes at home. (Uniformed officers have a way of attracting attention.) Accordingly, Nick was dressed in his standard faux-Hawaiian ensemble, while Judy was wearing dungaree shorts, a knit shirt, and a hoodie, with a faded denim ball-cap to top it off.

She studied the mirror carefully, nose twitching in concentration. The reflection of the keypad was a reverse image of the real one and she needed to be certain of her actions; who knew what might happen if she entered the wrong access code?

The access code....dangit, she'd known it a minute ago!

"Nick, what're those door code numbers again?"

There was no answer for a few seconds.

"Nick?"

"Hold on, I'm thinking," the red fox replied, grumbling under his breath. Oh, swell...he'd forgotten it, too.

"Some pair of supercops WE are," Judy groaned inwardly, "So long Detective Bureau; maybe we'll catch you again someday."

Then Nick finally answered her.

"Okay, try 1620."

Judy's teeth came together and began to grind. "That's the UNIT number, Slick."

"Right, Right," he answered apologetically, "how about 403?"

If Judy's paws had been free, she would have...well, she wouldn't have known who to slap, herself, or the dumb fox.

"That's the address, Nick, and the door-code has FOUR digits."

"Sorry, Sorry...Oh wait, I know it's...uhm...uhhh, how about A113?"

"NICK!"

"Dangit Jude, I'm a fox, not an elephant. All right, wait....okay-y-y it's...5025, followed by the pound key."

"Are you...?" she started to asked

"Yes, I'm sure," the red fox snapped, sounding anything but certain of his response.