The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 5

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle-A Zootopia Fanfiction

-------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

---------------------------------------

Chapter 2 - Taking The Bull By The Horns
(pt. 1)

Nick Wilde was back in uniform again, leaning casually against the wall beside a door marked, 'ZPD - Females' Lockers'.

While he waited for Judy Hopps to appear, the fox recited a line to himself, each time giving it a slightly different inflection, as if rehearsing for a play.

"I know what I saw, Nick. I know what I saw, Nick. I know what I saw, Nick. I know what I saw, Nick."

His recital ended quickly as Judy Hopps came through the door, also in uniform.

...and turned, smiling sweet venom at the fox.

"I know what I saw, Nick." She told him, in a soft, sultry, satiny purr, "and I heard that and you're not funny."

She wheeled a 180 and walked away, casting a cheerful face in every direction but her partner's, as if to inform the world, "Look everybody, SEE how I'm ignoring him?"

Nick sighed, shook his head, and caught up to her.

"All right Carrots, I had my fun. But you saw...what, an animal gone savage; something that hasn't happened in almost two years now?"

Judy stopped and thumped her foot on the ground.

"I know what I saw!" This time her voice was as firm as solid oak.

Nick pretended not to hear her.

"And then you saw him again, less than a minute later...completely normal?"

That finally got her to look at him again.

"I never said it was Howell. It could have been..."

"No Carrots," Nick interrupted her gently, "There was only ONE wolf in that alleyway and that wolf was Officer Tad Howell." As if anticipating her response, he tapped the side of his muzzle, "The nose knows."

Judy sighed in resignation...but not defeat.

"All right, but you know as well as I do that there's an antidote for Nighthowler now."

Nick was especially ready for THAT one.

"An antidote so secret, even the name is kept under wraps," he reminded her, "and the last of the Nighthowler extract was destroyed right after Mayor Bellwether started her prison term. And she's still behind bars if you recall."

"But Doug isn't." Judy countered him archly ...and now it was the fox's turn to look in every direction but his partner's. Like it or not, she was right. While his two chums Jesse and Woolter were later apprehended by the ZPD, Dawn Bellwether's chemist-cum-sniper was never caught. A brick by brick search of the tunnel where he'd last been seen had turned up not even so much as a strand of the rogue sheep's wool.