The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 58

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle-A Zootopia Fanfiction

------------------------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6-Nick's Story
(Continued...Pt. 8)

Judy Hopps could have stopped Nick Wilde right there; part of her wanted him to stop. The red fox's tale was pounding towards a heart-wrenching conclusion and she didn't need to hear any more; she already knew the ending, no spoilers required.

She could do it, she could hold up her paw and tell him, "All right Nick, I understand, you don't need to say any more."

Except...HE needed to keep going; he needed to get the weight off his shoulders, even if that was something she didn't need.

Or...did she? Nick seemed to think so; all at once his ears were standing sharply erect and swiveling in her direction-like a pair of antennae, tuning in to her thoughts.

"I know what you're thinking, Carrots," he said, "that I broke my promise to Robyn and went back to hustling. And you're right, I did, but THAT wasn't my horrible mistake-although that is what led to it."

Judy half grumbled, half sighed. If Nick felt the need to tell her everything, fine...but did he have to take the SCENIC route?

She began to thump her foot.

"Nick, will you please stow the drama and just get on with it? Seriously, you sound like you're talking in riddles right now."

His expression became instantly contrite more appropriate to a sheep than a fox.

"O-Okay Carrots."

Closing his eyes and gripping the sides of his chair, Nick took in a long, slow breath, as if gathering his strength for what was to come. Judy waited; she knew this was going to be the hardest place for him to revisit ...and she also knew that he was going to go there.

------------------------------------------------------

"It started out small Carrots, the way these things always do; it began with the Graffiti Hustle, a scam I'd heard about while I was in Lemmingworth."

"It works like this: Take some watercolor paint, mix it up in sprayer and then go find your mark; you need a business, preferably upscale, with an empty store-front next door. What you do is spray both places with graffiti, and then sit back and wait for the business owner to arrive. When he does, he finds a graffiti-removal service-you-at work on the space next to his, and then this is how it goes from there:"

"'Hey, can you take care of my place too, while you're at it?'"

"'Awww, I'd love to help you out friend, but we're on a schedule here.'"

"'Oh, come on...please? I'll make it worth your while, 50 bucks, cash.'"

"'Oh gee...I-I don't know...'"