The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 9

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle-A Zootopia Fanfiction

-------------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 3 - Day of Carrots and Blueberries
(Pt. 1)

Judy Hopps paced back and forth along the platform in Zootopia's Central Train Station, pausing every now and then either to thump her foot, look at her watch, or gaze towards the entrance in mounting frustration.

"Dangit Nick, where are you?"

She must have asked that question of the absent fox a dozen times by then. Darn him! It wasn't as if their meet point was hard to find; Zootopia Central, Track Two, and by the light-pole closest to the escalator. How hard should that be for a so-called 'clever fox' to figure out?

"Where ARE you, Nick?"

Judy stopped and looked to the right once again, towards the long, silvery form of the Zootopia Zephyr, the newest of the trains plying between the city and its outlying communities. For the moment, it was sitting patiently with its doors open, but another quick glance at her watch told the bunny that it wouldn't be like that for much longer; train service in and out of Zootopia was as regular as an atomic clock.

"Darn you, Nick, hurry UP!"

Just then, as if her last thought had finally gotten through to the fox, Judy caught sight of a bushy-tailed figure, hurrying up the platform with a wheeled travel case slewing in his wake. She started to relax-and only got about a third of the way there before the station PA boomed.

"Attention all passengers, final boarding call for the Zootopia Zephyr, now leaving on track 2 for Bunnyburrows, Podunk, and CUC-a-MEOW-ga! Zootopia Zephyr, ALL ABOARRRRRD!"

Judy let out a groan and bounded full tilt in the direction of the approaching fox. Dispensing with any greetings, she just grabbed the travel case by its other handle and nearly yanked the fox of his feet as she turned and dashed for the train.

"C'mon Nick, hurry!"

As the train came closer she found herself chanting silent mantra at the open doors.

"Please-don't-close, Please-don't-close, Pleased-don't-close, Pleeeeeease...don't close!"

The doors either didn't hear her, or else they had a warped sense of humor. With less than two feet to go, they began to slide shut. Thinking fast, Judy dropped onto her back and kicked out with her feet, catapulting Nick and his travel bag through the gap and onto the train. Pushed backwards by the same motion, the bunny rolled a 180 and came up on her feet. Her move must have impressed somebody up there somewhere, because there was still time for her to make it onto the train...barely

No time to think, Judy hunkered down and sprang for the rapidly closing doors in a Hail Mary leap-for-life.

She made it through with less than a centimeter to spare, so close she felt the door brush the tips of her ears as it shut completely.