The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 22

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle-A Zootopia Fanfiction

-------------------------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

-------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3 - Day of Carrots and Blueberries
(Continued...Pt. 14)

When Nick Wilde returned to the amphitheater he found only Judy there waiting for him.

"Everyone else went back to the farm-stand, Nick." She said, referring to the Hopps Family Farm produce booth. "What happened with Conor?'

She asked the question in an ambiguous tone, but Nick could see that she was trying very hard not to thump her foot-and also that her gaze was focused on his paw, which was clearly not holding Erin's long, lost, bass guitar.

"I'll tell you on the way," he said, "But listen Carrots, there's something we didn't know..."

When Judy heard it, she gasped so loudly it sounded almost like an asthma attack.

"Oh my Gaw, Erin did that?"

"Yes, Erin did that," Nick started to say-and then quickly corrected his course, "All right, honestly, I don't know what she did, Carrots," he added. Now was not the time for speculation; 'just the facts ma'am', as another police officer once said.

"But that's what Conor says happened," he went on, "and I believe him. He made the offer to sell Erin's guitar back all on his own; I didn't have to ask." (Only technically true, but true enough.)

Judy nodded and resumed walking, looking thoughtful.

"Nick, I-I-I don't think Erin kept it from us on purpose; she's smart enough to know we'd find out sooner or later anyway. No, I think she was just so upset about everything, she didn't quite know what she was saying."

"Hmmm yeah, I think you're right, Judy." The red fox answered after a second or two of reflection. "Honestly, I can't really blame her. Of all the times for that guitar to kick the bucket, it had to happen right then." He turned and looked at her. "How's she doing by the way?"

Judy sucked on her lower lip for second.

"A lot better, last time I saw her, when she left with mom and the others...but right now, who knows?" She seemed just a bit little insecure to the fox, a rare occurrence for Judy Hopps. "Erin's at 'that age' for girls, Nick. Just when you think you've got it together, nature turns on the hormones and ...boom!"

"Right, right," Nick answered, nodding quickly. Like every other guy, he preferred to remain blissfully ignorant of such feminine matters.

They walked in silence for another minute, with Judy twitching her nose meditatively. After a moment or two she looked at him sideways.

"Nick, I think before anything else, we need to have a private talk with Erin."

"Agreed," the fox answered, nodding. (This was a subject he could talk about.) "It'd be better if the others get the story from her, rather than us."