The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 37

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle—A Zootopia Fanfiction

-----------------------------------------------------------  

Part One:

Fuel

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4 – The Wizard of Chaos
(Continued...Pt. 6)

Something shot up out of the hole behind Judy's Uncle, spewing earth in all direction; it was big, bigger than he was. In spite of everything, Judy was unable to stifle her amazement.

"What the...? Is that another rabbit?"

Whatever it was, it came down with both feet on the back of her uncle's neck, driving him face first into the ground, before leaping away again. Terry shook it off immediately and then wheeled to face his new adversary.

"Leave her alone!" Jack La Peigne gave as much of snarl as was possible for a rabbit, and then moved his leg back, taking up a Hop-Ki-Do stance. It felt pitifully inadequate against an animal gone savage, but his skills were all he had right now.

That and the fact that no one here right now knew the effects of Nighthowler poisoning better than he did.

Terry moved to the right; Jack feinted left and then moved with him. It would confuse the other rabbit if he behaved erratically; for a few seconds only, but that precious sliver of time might make all the difference in the world.

"I don't have to beat him," The big bunny reminded himself, "Only keep him occupied until...oh crackers, here he comes!"

Jack held his ground as the crazed bunny charged flat-out. At the last instant he dove to the right, kicking out with his legs and catching Terry in the ribs, driving him into a sideways sprawl. That was the key, he knew; never try to meet a more powerful enemy head on; duck, feint, and go for a flank attack.

"If you attempt to stop a runaway wagon by standing before it, you will only succeed in being crushed," Master Dae had once explained to him, "Yet with only a light push from your shoulder, you may deflect it sideways, perhaps even cause it to topple."

Terry jumped back onto his feet; Jack did the same. For a moment they circled one another like a pair of gladiators in the arena, both of them down on all fours. When Terry bared his incisors and hissed, Jack immediately mirrored the gesture; the one thing that brings out the wariness in an animal darted with Nighthowler is being confronted by another animal gone savage.

Then Judy's uncle charged again, but Jack was ready for him; he turned and ran for the cell phone tower, leaping up with all his strength. Grabbing for a cross-bar, he swung himself upwards like a gymnast. A half second later he felt the gantry shudder as the crazed bunny crash into it. (That was the other thing about animals on Nighthowler; run and they will chase you—and you'll be the only thing on their minds.)

Jack leaped backward off the tower, tumbling over and coming down squarely on his adversary's back. And then using him for a springboard, he jumped off again, landing on the ground in a tuck and roll, and coming up in a four point stance, facing the savage bunny.