The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 4

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle-A Zootopia Fanfiction

------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

--------------------------------------

Chapter 1 - With This Ring
(Continued...pt.4)

This time Ahmed al-Rafaj wasn't bothered; the latest pair of animals to enter his store were both prey species. (As if anything would prey on a Cape Buffalo and full-grown elephant!)

And even if the new arrivals had been predator and prey, it wouldn't have mattered; they weren't a couple. The buffalo had arrived a full two minutes after the elephant walked in-and afterwards they had only barely acknowledged one other.

In fact the only thing they seemed to have in common was that both of them were browsers rather than buyers; while the buffalo studied the males' ring display, the pachyderm was looking over the large-mammal necklaces.

Ahmed could live with it; if these two weren't going to buy anything, at least they hadn't been inside the store when that...that FOX had insisted upon kissing his bunny.

(It never would have occurred to the golden jackal that sending Nick and Judy in to purchase the lavender diamond had been a calculated ploy on Chief Bogo's part. With his blood up, Ahmed's natural wariness had been compromised-and now, adrenaline all but spent, he had dropped his guard even further.)

Even better for the Chief's purposes, Ahmed had another customer in the store right then; one who WAS a buyer, a pretty-face wallaby who had just completed the purchase of a diamond tennis bracelet. Thus the jackal remained blissfully unaware of what had just transpired right outside his door. Only a few seconds previously a Bengal leopard had been approaching the shop...and then turned quickly in a different direction upon seeing the ZPD SWAT Team hunkering beneath the windows.

Meanwhile the wallaby was hopping happily towards the entrance, with Chief Bogo graciously holding the door for her. As she passed him by, he whispered, "Please do not be alarmed, Ma'am. Just keep on your way, police business."

The wallaby gave him a quick look of apprehension, (luckily unnoticed by Ahmed,) but then did as the Cape buffalo suggested.

With her gone, Bogo and Trunkaby moved rapidly. While the Chief made a beeline in Ahmed's direction, Francine quietly put herself between the golden jackal and the front door-not to cut off any avenue of escape, but to block his line of sight. Watching her on the monitors, Claire Swinton passed the word to the others; "It's coming down, get ready to move."

Ahmed al-Rafaj saw none of this of course, only the Cape buffalo coming his way. Ah, so perhaps he was a buyer after all.

The jackal immediately put on his most obsequious manner, bobbing his head and clasping his paws as Bogo came closer, "Yes sir, how may I assist you?"

The response he received was the rare spectacle of The ZPD Chief in distress.

"Yes," Bogo started to say, "I was wondering if you might..."