The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 36

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle—A Zootopia Fanfiction

-----------------------------------------------------  

Part One:

Fuel

-----------------------------------------------------  

Chapter 4 – The Wizard of Chaos
(Continued...Pt. 5)

Judy winced as she felt something slap across the crook of her elbow. The stinging pain and surprise made her yelp and nearly lose her grip on the ladder. When she regained her grasp, she saw that a length of steel cable was draped across her right forearm.

"Wha...? Where did that come from?"

She shook her arm, trying to rid herself of the offending strand. It bounced once, jiggled once, and then began to slide off her arm.

Judy had almost shed the length of wire when her ears shot up and turned backwards; harsh, heavy breathing was coming up behind her, less than three feet away. She felt her guts turn to water; there was no escape and no place to run. If only she had something to... wait a minute, she DID!

Still holding onto Nick's tail with her teeth, she hooked her elbow through a ladder rung, grabbed the piece of cable, and swung out hard. There was no time to adjust her aim; she simply lashed out blindly. The wired smacked against her uncle's forearm, removing a stripe of fur, but otherwise causing no damage.

"Aim for the ear, the EAR!" her inner voice screamed. Judy raised her arm a second time, but then another voice rose in dissent. This was her uncle, her own flesh and blood; if he fell from this height he would never survive. Yes, he'd gone savage, but was that his fault? It wasn't as if...

Terry bared his incisors and lunged...and the decision was made for her; Judy swung again and connected with the base of the crazed bunny's right ear. He screamed, tried to reach for the side of his head...and fell.

He dropped a good twenty feet before he was able to latch onto to the ladder again. Apparently uninjured he shook his head dazedly for a second, but Judy knew the disorientation wouldn't last for...

She was jostled suddenly as Nick Wilde's foot came down on top of her shoulder; he too was losing his hold on the ladder. Judy looked up and saw that little Cotton had her arms wrapped around his throat in a panicky chokehold. Thinking fast, she grabbed on to the ladder with both paws, let Nick's tail fall from her mouth and summoned up her best impression of her mother in high dudgeon.

"Cotton Miranda Hopps, you let go of that fox's neck this instant!"

The little bunny immediately slackened her grip; an Uncle gone savage might be a terrible thing, but it was nothing compared to having your mom call you by your full name—in that tone of voice.

"Don't lose that cable, Carrots!" Nick's voice was a half-choked wheeze.

Judy mostly ignored him, by now she'd guessed what he'd brought it for and had no intention of letting it fall...and there was another concern at the moment.