Chapter 51

"Hi," I sighed, dropping my head low to shield my hard, anger-filled face from him.

"You don't have to hide," Zayn spoke beside me. "You know I'm just as angry. More, if I'm honest."

I quickly sat up, dragging my hands through my hair and watching time pass by. Neither of us said anything for a minute or so. Finally I found the will to speak.

"He deserves to die."

"I know."

We elapsed into silence again, though Zayn was now breathing heavier. Like he was thinking a lot. I knew how he felt; I had hundreds of thoughts swarming around my mind right now.

"How's Carly?" he whispered beside me. My throat swelled.

"She's fine," I answered after coughing slightly. "Megan?"

"She's...upset. I should be with her now," he sighed, though remained seated. Yet again I knew how he felt. I should be with Carly. But I needed a few minutes to calm down even the slightest bit. I was unbelievably angry at myself. I stood up and paced around the small waiting room, looking around for something, anything, that I could use to take it out on. I came out empty-handed. Looking back at Zayn, I could see the veins in his neck pulsing wildly, and his knuckles were almost white. I had to help him somehow - maybe that would help me too. What he was going through was one hundred times worse than me.

"Mate," I sat down again, putting my arm around his shoulder whilst he closed his eyes. "Zayn. Look at me."

"What?" he breathed, opening one eye. Well, I wouldn't get much better than that.

"He's gone. I saw the police drag him away. I told them what I saw. That's what Carly's doing now. He'll get sent away! Megan won't have to worry."

"Sent away?!" he said loudly, standing up. "The things he's done to my girlfriend, the way he's controlled her, the way he's-" his voice broke. "...for him to just get locked in a room isn't enough. I want him to feel every inch of pain I'm feeling now. Do you think he even knows how much he hurt her?" he shook his head. I stood up, towering over him by an inch or two. It gave me a bit of confidence. Though I didn't know what to say to him, because he was completely right.

"I...I don't know what to say. There's nothing much we can do," I honestly said. Ever so slightly, he nodded.

"Get back to Megan," I encouraged. "That's all you can do now. Comfort her." After several long, tense seconds, he nodded.

"Thanks, Harry," he patted my back before running away. I let out a heap of air I didn't realise I had been holding in, and turned in the opposite direction towards the allocated room for Carly.

As I walked down the corridor of the depressing hospital, my eyes flickered from one room to another, watching doctors and nurses talking to bloody, crazy looking people from drunk, Saturday night outs. We shouldn't be here. I hated that we were here.

I turned the corner and watched as the two familiar police men closed the door behind themselves. I stopped in front of them, darting my eyes from side to side as I tried to look each of them in the eye.

"He's going to pay, isn't he?" I asked. I wouldn't say his name. Not after finding out what he was like. They each exchanged a quick, doubtful glance.

"We have a lot against him, son," one finally spoke.

"You don't have to worry - he'll pay for what he's done," the other confirmed.

"...thanks," I said awkwardly. One of them tilted their head towards the door.

"I'd go in if I was you. Someone wasn't happy when you left so suddenly," he smiled the smallest smile and I found myself laughing hopelessly. I stepped around them and opened the door, my eyes meeting Carly's. She sat up though was pulled back by the doctor next to her. Her mum and Gary sat on the two arm chairs.

"No moving, Miss. We have to get this stitched up," the doctor explained, as he began to fix the wound on her head. She bit her lip nervously and I ran over, taking her hand.

"I hate this place," she whispered quietly, holding tightly onto my hand. I was guessing she wasn't too fond of needles either.

"Me too," I agreed.

"Why did you leave?" she asked, looking up at me. I felt guilt wash over me, so looked away.

"I don't want you to see me angry, Car," I honestly said. Her forehead creased slightly, though was soon replaced by a small smile.

"I don't mind. I'm angry too, you know."

I raised my eyebrows in a sarcastic way, hoping to make her feel better. It worked, because she hit me on the arm, receiving a sigh from the doctor.

"Miss," he warmed and she laughed, mouthing a quick 'sorry' to him. He continued to stitch her up, and as he did my eyes travelled down her arms. There were several cuts, though none were as bad as her head. Her hands had been pretty damaged, though from what I could see he had cleaned them up. Cuts on her legs had been cleaned too, and I was grateful for him helping her. After a few quiet minutes, the doctor finished up and handed a form to Carly's mum.

"If you could just fill out this form for us, that would be great," he smiled encouragingly, holding out a pen. Maria quickly filled it in, passing it back to him in no time.

"So...I can go?" Carly asked, to which he nodded in reply.

"Yes, no need to keep you in. That should heal in no time." We all thanked him and left the room.

"Where's Zayn and Megan?" Carly rushed.

"Down there, here, I'll show you," I lead the way, feeling awkward with everyone's eyes burning into the back of me. I found the small room and Carly knocked, allowing herself inside. I stayed where I was.

"Everything okay, Harry?" her mum asked. Honestly?

"No," I said. "I should have went after her, I'm sorry-"

"-you did," Gary cut in. I looked up at his tall figure as he continued. "Harry, you found her."

"Exactly, I don't know what would have happened if you didn't get there when you did. Thank you, dear," Maria sighed, hugging me. I smiled slightly before pulling away.

"I love her. So much," I whispered, looking through the window into the room. "I think I'd do just about anything for her."

Maria looked at me with a hopeful glance.

"You're great for her, Harry," she stated. "Her life can get quite hectic sometimes. But you are great for her. I know that."

"I try," I cheekily said, earning a laugh. "I know it's probably not the greatest time, but I wanted to ask you something at the party..." I trailed off, debating whether or not to continue.

"Okay, sure. Gary, love, would you go and grab me a coffee? Then we can talk," she smiled. Coffee - okay, good. Caffeine would be sure to make her happy, maybe then she might even consider the idea of her daughter flying to another country with me.

***

Okay, I feel really bad. So, so bad. I haven't updated in over two weeks, which is just...terrible! I'm so sorry! & now this chapter was really short which again, I'm so sorry about! I had loads of tests last week & I've been getting ready for my holiday! No joke, I'm going to Paris in two hours! This is how much of a crank I am! But I have a lot of hours to kill on the journey, so I will be WRITING A LOT! When I get back on thursday there will be two new chapters at least! I PROMISE! So sorry again! Much loveee! Faye .xo