Chapter 30

Have you ever heard of soul mates? I had, though I didn't for one second believe in them; maybe people could fall in love and be happy but soul mates? Hardly. I HADN'T believed in soul mates, though after the past four months I had experienced, the message hidden deep inside of me seemed to be getting closer to the surface. Looking up at myself in the mirror, I found stinging tears brimming in the corners of my eyes. This rarely happened, though when it did, I easily managed to blink them away. I wasn't even attempting that today. I let them fall - I let the tears fall and fall, but they didn't stop. Looking up into the mirror at the sight of myself, I cried and cried at the stranger staring back at me, who I now realised was different. Different to the person I was last year. I'd changed. I looked down at the black and silver links bracelet tied around my arm and smiled to myself, thinking about her. That only got me even more angry so without thought, I drew my fist back and forcefully punched it into the reflective glass. I felt pain instantly and winced as I witnessed my face splitting into several pieces from the crack of the mirror. I looked down and heavily sighed. The pain from the laceration lingering across my fist was nothing compared to the aching, burning sensation eating me inside out from my heart. My mind drifted back to four months ago, and I sighed at what I’d said...

“ W h a t ’ s g o i n g o n , m a n ? ”

“ N o t h i n g , I j u s t r e a l l y l i k e h e r . ”

“ T h i s h a p p e n s e v e r y o t h e r d a y H a r r y ! W h e n a r e y o u f i n a l l y j u s t g o i n g t o g o a f t e r o n e g i r l ? ”

“ I d o n ’ t k n o w . . . C a r l y s e e m s d i f f e r e n t . ”

I’d convinced myself that it was a lie. But I had been right all along. I had known from the first time I had met her but I had buried it away, refusing to believe it. Now the sensation was taking over me. The feeling was taking over me. For once when I looked into the trashed mirror I found that I wasn't afraid. Because reality had finally sank in. I knew what I had to do, and after days of debating, I finally accepted the thoughts that were now swarming through not just my mind, but myself. I slammed the door behind me, jumping down the stairs. I had to do it now. Otherwise I never would.

***

I looked up out of the window to see the heavy, drowning ran hit the glass every second. Sighing to myself, I switched channels on the tv and found myself miserably laughing at the credits of the fresh prince of bel air.

"looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of bel air..." I trailed off. I wish I was in bel air right now. Anywhere in fact, for that matter. I thought Harry was my friend, but what friend doesn't contact or visit their friend who has just got crushed and nearly died? He really confused me sometimes. Just a simple text would have satisfied me! At least I was better now, lots of morphine had settled me and had recovered my drowsy, painful feeling. I stood up and walked into the kitchen, hearing a loud vehicle speed down the road. I didn't think nothing of it until a loud, forceful banging started on the front door. I looked up seeming confused; my mum was 'away' for the night. I know. I walked over to the door and hesitantly pulled it open to reveal a soaking wet shivering Harry. I sighed, my gaze meeting his.

"Where have you been?" I asked, looking him over and shaking my head. My eyes stopped on his hand which was covered in blood.

"Harry what happened?!" I shouted, running through to the porch he was standing in, immediately cradling his hand. He flinched away, wincing at the pain.

"Sorry!" I cried. He looked up at me and smiled, so I smiled back.

"Is your mum home?" he asked and I shook my head in reply.

"Will you come out with me?" he asked. I looked past him at the horrendous rain pouring down from the black sky, then back at Harry with his pleading face. I didn't know what was wrong with him, I couldn't tell at all what he was thinking, as per usual.

"Err...sure, let me just get my coat," I ran away from the door and up the stairs. What was he doing here? I ran into my closet, taking out my navy Hollister waterproof jacket. Running back downstairs I ran to the door, not really caring how Harry took my attitude; he hadn't contacted me in three days after all.

"What did you do to your hand?" I asked again sternly. He hid it behind his back.

"Nothing."

"It doesn't look like nothing."

"I'm fine."

"Fine?! You're hands covered in blood, you haven't contacted me in three days and you've just turned up out of the blue at my doorstep drenched. I'm not an expert but that doesn't sound fine to me," I huffed, grabbing my keys and stepping out, slamming the door behind me. I locked up and turned back to face him. "I'm not letting you take me back until you've been to the hospital."

"Okay," he agreed, a neutral expression forming on his face as he lead me across the road to his motorbike. I let him walk in front of me so I could take in his posture. I narrowed my eyebrows, confused and worried about what he was thinking as his body remained in a clear tensed state. Whatever was going through his mind I had to go along with because...just because. He got on and I didn't even wonder about what he thought of me, I quickly swung my leg over and wrapped my arms around him after tugging up my hood. We rode in silence (to where, I don't even have a clue) and as I looked down I regretted leaving my hair loose; it had now parted and was heavy flowing down out of the sides of my hood and being soaked by the drizzling rain.

***

After awhile I tried to pull my phone out of my pocket but had no such luck, I was too scared of falling off the bike. I didn't even have a clue how late it was, but I just knew Harry had been driving for a LONG time. He hadn't said a word to me since my house so I didn't attempt socialising with him. God he was being rude. I almost dropped my head onto his back falling into a restless sleep from being so bored, only the motorbike came to sudden halt as he slammed the breaks, throwing us both forward.

"Harry!" I started to complain, but he was already off the bike, walking away from me. WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH HIM!? I looked up and quickly widened my eyes at the sight of the houses of parliament standing next to me. How fast had he rode that bike? I looked back to him, his back still facing me as he carried on walking further and further away, small droplets of rain dripping off his black woollen coat. He pulled the collar up tightly against his neck and I sighed. Well I was obviously meant to follow him, wasn't I? Actually this was pretty cool, I felt like Edward and Bella in twilight, you know with the whole rain and awkwardness when she's walking away from him towards the woods? No wait, Harry was walking away from ME...what was I even rambling on about with my thoughts? 'Go after him, Carly!' my voice encouraged and I began to run through the puddles, catching up to him. I stayed a few metres behind to see if he'd bother looking back to see if I was there, though he didn't. He was assuming instead. Ugh. He headed over towards the London Eye and I stopped as he began to cross the bridge. I didn't even...I had no clue. Hesitantly I slowly walked for a few seconds until he stopped, so I stopped too. He stood at the end of he bridge with his back to me, and I stood in the middle, seeming as confused as hell. I don't know how long we stood like that. It seemed like forever.

Finally he slowly turned around to face me, his eyes looking up to meet mine. I shook my head at him trying to portray how confused I was without saying anything. He suddenly laughed, though not in a funny way. More...a spiteful way.

"What do you think of me, Carly?" he asked, walking a few steps closer. I regretfully mimicked those same steps backwards. "What does Carly Gilbert think of Harry Styles?" he asked again. He was using our second names now, that couldn't have been a good sign.

"I...what-" I started, but he sharply cut in.

"Did you just want to get to know me because I'm famous, because I'm rich?" he scowled, and I felt rage spread across my face.

"What?!" I shouted, taking a bold step towards him. "Are you kidding? You know me better than that, what the hell's gotten into you?" I shouted.

"Do you actually like ME? Or is it just these-" he dragged his hand through his hair, messing with his curls. "-these curls? Is that all you think of me?"

"What? How low do you think I am? Seriously Harry - you know I'm not like that, we're friends! Of course I like you for YOU-" I stressed. "You could have two heads and I wouldn't care!" he laughed, though I didn't join in.

"What I can't believe is that you would even think that of me, I...you don't even know me at all if that's what you believe," I whispered, feeling tears brim in the corner of my eyes. I turned around to go, though Harry's voice stopped me.

"Car, don't leave," he whispered, though I clearly heard him. I was about to ask why when I heard a muffled sound. I span round to see him looking at the brightly lit wheel, unmoving because of how late it was - it was deserted all around us. Harry hung his head and then shook it quickly, but my eyes still caught the sight of a single tear falling to the floor. From there on I stopped thinking of my actions with my head, I simply allowed my heart to wonder and found myself walking back in Harry's direction.

"Are you crying?" I whispered. He looked up at me and wiped his eyes, any possible tears being brushed away as well as the memory. He sighed and returned to shouting, turning his back on me.

"I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE CARLY!" he screamed angrily.

"DO WHAT?!" I screamed back, following him until he spun back round and looked down at me.

"Hide this!" he pointed to his chest, actually screw that, his heart.

"Hide what?!"

"My feelings!"

"What feelings, Harry, I-"

"Carly, I LOVE YOU!" he screamed and I stopped. Everything around me stopped, the rain, the traffic seeming another world away and Harry. I froze.

"...I'm sorry, I'm sorry about everything I've just said...I didn't mean any of it. I was just angry with myself and took it out on you, no, I'd never ever think that of you, Car. I was just too scared to admit it. But now...I know. I know, Car. I can't believe I've only just admitted it. I've loved you since I first saw you that day. I fell in love with you the moment I met you on the runway. And three days ago you almost died, but I fought for you, Car. I wouldn't let you die because I couldn't imagine a world without you in it..." he trailed off. I kept my gaze to the floor...I couldn't look up at him.

"Car?" he whispered, and I found myself again. I blinked twice and looked up, somehow seeing him differently. His hair framed his face perfectly, sprinklets of water falling down onto his strong jaw-line occasionally. His chest was rising and falling quickly as he breathed heavily. His perfect, flawless face stared down at me as I looked up into his beautiful, piercing green eyes. It wasn't just Harry Styles, it was...him.

"You...you love me?" I stammered. He took a deep breath.

"Yes," he simply whispered, filling the metre space between us. I forgot where I was until I heard his voice again.

"Car, please say something," he begged, and I knew I had to do this now. Otherwise I'd convince myself it was a lie. But I knew now after hiding it that it wasn't, it was true. I looked up at him and sighed, slowly coming to terms with reality.

"...I love you too."

***

"...I love you too," she whispered and I stopped. Those four words caused everything around me to disappear: the sound of the rain falling everywhere around us and the throbbing pain in my hand, because all I could focus my mind on was her. Carly...the girl that I loved. I felt a bright smile appear on my face and didn't even attempt to hide it - I couldn't hold in the excitement and adoration I was feeling for her and I just couldn't believe I had only just admitted it. I never wanted to let her go. Never. She looked down at the ground and I knew she was blushing. I grinned and closed the remaining space between us. Her face was inches from mine but she wouldn't meet my eyes. I winded my left arm around her waist and rested my hand on the small of her back, whilst tipping her head up with my finger forcing her to meet my gaze. She looked up and my eyes locked with her gorgeous sea blue ones. I couldn't look away - literally. We both knew what was coming so I smiled and quickly closed my lips onto hers. I pressed lightly at first, and so did she, but then it suddenly became more intense. It wasn't like the time we kissed back in august in my apartment. It wasn't like the time she tried to kiss me at her birthday party (which I hadn't told her about but now, might just), instead, it was...love. She threw her arms around my neck and I felt her smile against my lips. I smiled too, wrapping my arms tightly around her waist and pulling her closer to me, if that was even possible. The rain fell heavily around us and I felt it soak through my hair, making it fall horribly. I didn't even care though, I had the most amazing, perfect girl of my dreams in my arms, still kissing me. We broke apart, both slightly breathless. I pressed my forehead to hers and grinned, looking deep into her eyes. Neither of us broke away; the connection was too strong.

"I'm never letting you go," I whispered, linking the fingers of my good hand through hers. She looked down, blushing. I forced her face up again.

"Why are you hiding from me..." I trailed off, not really asking it as a direct question, searching her eyes. "You're so beautiful." I lightly placed my lips on hers again and softly kissed her, feeling so alive with the drizzling rain falling on us and the fireworks exploding all around me. She looked up through her long, thick eye lashes, and smiled brightly, realising again like me.

"I love you," she whispered, repeating it again. She played with my curls and my heart banged heavily, suddenly beating extraordinarily quickly. I still couldn't believe it, it hadn't sunk in yet. Carly and I...were in love. In love. I quickly stepped back, letting go of her hand. She looked up at me, seeming so confused and innocent, I resisted the urge not to pull her back into my arms. I coughed purposely before I spoke.

"Miss Carly Gilbert," I pronounced clearly and she giggled. "I know most boys would ask you on a date first but I can't wait that long...will you please be my girlfriend?" I begged. She bit her lip slightly making herself look so irresistible. A smile appeared on her face and she ran up to me, jumping up. I caught her legs as she wrapped them around my torso. In reply her lips crushed against mine and I smiled, pleading for entry as my tongue traced the outline of her lips. She gladly let me in and I sighed, feeling my breathing become husky as I tried to be closer to her. She immediately pulled away though. I thought I'd done something wrong until she smiled, staring at me as her hair blew wildly in the thunderstorm.

"I would be honoured," she said and I smiled for the hundredth time in the past few minutes. I set her down and she smiled up at me, linking her fingers through mine.

"Ouch," I reluctantly cursed, drawing my deeply cut hand up.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry," she whispered, carefully taking hold of it. She looked it over and then looked back up at me.

"How did you even..." she trailed off as I sadly shook my head. She smiled encouragingly.

"Well...as your girlfriend," she winked and I laughed. "I'm taking you the hospital - now."

"Okay," I agreed, reaching down for her hand. Her waterproof mac rose up as my fingers lingered on her arm and I stopped, looking down at the links bracelet she was wearing.

"I was an ass," I sighed, meeting her gaze. "I'll spend the rest of my life making it up to you. I'm so so sorry. But you...you never gave up on me." I stroked my fingers across the bracelet. She looked down, taking hold of my hand.

"I'll never give up on you, Harry."

I wasn't hiding this. Not for a second. I didn't care. She was everything. She was the one.

***