Chapter 58

“Are you coming tonight, Car?”

“Where?” I blindly asked, though I already knew her response.

“The airport,” Kris smiled.

“I don’t know,” I answered, sighing as I took out my phone. I clicked on my messages, turning it around for her to see.

-Hi Car, I miss you. We’re home tonight, and I really want to see you there, in Heathrow. Our flight gets in at 7:30, please be there – I need to see you .xx

“When did you get that?” she asked, handing my phone back to me.

“About an hour ago,” I sighed, glancing at the clock on the wall. It was just past three, which meant that school was almost over. Kris and I had a free lesson so were sat in the common room, our revision books still in our bags as we were just talking instead. About the boys, about Niall, and...about Harry. My fingers reached into the neck of my sleeveless shirt and I pulled out the silver chain, twisting it in my fingers as the rings drifted together and apart. I hadn’t taken it off since Paris, and I wasn’t planning on, either. I wasn’t giving up on Harry and I, I just needed to know what had happened to him and why. Kristen’s voice echoed over my sprawling thoughts.

“Don’t get me wrong Car, I know they’ve been hectic, and I’m happy for them. We all are. But Niall found the time to text or call me every day, so Harry should have too,” she shook her head. This was not what I wanted to hear right now. But still she continued.

“You have to come to the airport.”

‘She’s right about that.’

 “I know.”

I had to, but I was dreading it. I had barely slept last night thinking about what I was going to say when I saw him. If I stayed at home the move would look childish and he would believe I was seriously irritated with him. Somehow I wasn’t; all that I needed was an explanation.

“Okay, I’ll pick you up at seven,” she smiled again, more sympathetic this time. Kristen now had a license, and was currently driving her mum’s car until she had one of her own. I was not even going there with a car yet, I had decided that it was too much of an investment at the moment.

“Thanks,” I smiled in return, both of us elapsing into silence for the remaining minutes until the bell rang, alarming me that I had to increase my confidence then, otherwise I never would.

***

I was silent for the entire car ride. Gabby and Kristen talked about how excited they were to see their boyfriends, though I didn’t express my opinion. I knew that it would show anxiety. Instead, I battled with both my conscience and my thoughts.

‘You need to appear confident and fine,’ I told myself.

‘But you’re not.’

‘No I’m not, but do you have any better ideas?!’ I hissed back.

‘Forget.’

Fab. It always presented statements though never, ever, explained itself. It had said that a lot lately though, and I couldn’t help but wonder why it wanted me to ‘forget’ Harry. Because that’s what it meant, didn’t it?

‘Okay, if you want me to ‘forget’ Harry, then you’re not going to get what you want. I just need to speak to him!’ I shot back, realising that was all I could do.

‘Then I’m sorry in advance.’

What?

“Car!”