Chapter 29

Time passed. Seconds. Minutes. Hours. Days. Well, two days. But to me it had felt like an eternity.

“The person you are calling right now is unavailable, please leave your message after-” I closed my eyes, heavily sighing as I ended the call. I'd given up. He'd saved my life and now he was just...what? Ignoring me? Not even contacting me? Not letting me contact him? Avoiding me? What was wrong with him? He was worrying me. Keys jangled into the front door and I turned my head around as it flung open, widening my eyes at the loud sounds.

“Are they still there?” I sighed to my mum. She didn’t seem to hear me.

“No she won’t come out, because she has only just come home from hospital – she almost died! She doesn’t want to talk to you!” she abruptly shut the door and I widened my eyes.

“I wouldn’t talk to them like that mum,” I worried.

“I’ll talk to them however I like, Car. They have no right to torment us like this-”

“It’s what paparazzi do,” I sighed.

“But Car?” she sat down. “Why are they even interested in you? They don’t know that you’re friends with Harry, to them your just an innocent fan who-”

“They don’t,” I finished for her.

“Don’t what?” she asked, handing me the bag of things I’d asked her to buy.

“They think he’s dating someone, and all the clues lead to me. I’m not, but it just...it looks really bad. He doesn’t want me to get involved. Is that why he won’t contact me? Because I don’t care about getting involved, I just need to hear his voice!” I hissed, picking up my phone again feeling angry. I dialled his number and held the phone to my ear, counting the seconds.

“The person you are calling right now is unavailable; please leave your message after the tone...”

Beep.

“Harry...it’s me, Carly...again. Why won't you pick up, it’s been two days! Please Harry...I'm tired of just speaking to your answer machine, I need to speak to you. Please Harry...call me,” I whispered. I sighed and threw my phone away from me, opening up the bag. Chocolate, crisps, sweets, lucozade - everything I was craving right now, though my eyes stayed glued on the newspaper laying folded at the bottom instead. I pushed the bag away, dragging the paper out as my mum sat on the other sofa beside me. Raising my eyebrows, I unfolded it and stared at the bold letters covering the page. Yesterday it had been me on the cover. Well, Harry carrying me, a huge title saying ‘One Direction star saves dying girl’. I hated it. But today it was Gab on the cover instead.

'ONE DIRECTION STAR LIAM PAYNE CONFESSES TO GIRLFRIEND!' My eyes skimmed further down and, sure enough, there was a picture of Liam and Gab hand in hand walking down oxford street. I'd already known, only because Gab had asked me...asked me if I'd be okay if they came out with their relationship. Why would it even concern me? It had nothing to do with me! I don't know why she had wanted my permission. I was so confused right now. I needed fixing. I needed him. I needed Harry.

***

Beep. Beep. Beep.
‘You’re insecure, don’t know what for, you’re turning-’

“Harry?”

“Carly?” I heard and sighed.

“Sorry dad, I thought you were someone else.”

“Carly, I know I can't judge considering I haven't met him, but he's famous. He's a busy guy. You need to give him some credit-”

“-he saved my life dad,” I cut in, wondering how he even knew about Harry. I hadn't told him. “I can't just ignore that. How do you even - it doesn't matter. Here's the thing, I can’t-”

“I know, Carly, your mum called. I was ringing to tell you I’ve just cancelled the flight. How are you love? I tried calling the hospital yesterday but they wouldn’t put me through to you. Wouldn’t let your mum have her phone either,” he explained sympathetically. “What happened Carly?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed. “I was just really unlucky, I guess. You hardly ever hear of that kind of stuff happening nowadays. But I’m okay now dad, really, you don’t have to worry. They’re just taking precautions by not letting me fly, I’m seriously okay,” I whispered, hoping that it sounded encouraging.

“Okay, love. I’m just searching for a date now, work is kindly giving me a few weeks off so I’m going to fly over as soon as I can,” he said.

“What?” I felt a smile spread across my face. “Really? Are you sure they don’t mind?”

“Mind? Car, I haven’t seen you since summer, they have to give me some credit. Plus your mum’s kindly letting me stay.”

“With us?” I asked, looking over at my mum. She smiled. Whoa, my mum and dad barely talked anymore, plus my mum was now with Gary. What had happened?

“Yes, I’ll ring you again when I know when, but it’ll be as soon as possible.”

“Okay dad. Talk to you later.”

“Get well, Car,” I heard him say.

“Love you dad,” I sighed and hung up. I was bored, bored out of my mind. I looked up at my mum and smiled, opening the newspaper and turning to the page the article was on. I read it over and kept quiet. I didn’t know what to do. Feeling desperate, I picked up my phone again. I sent a text this time.

-You’re beginning to worry me Harry. I don’t want to argue, is that what’s happening here? Just tell me what I’ve done! I can’t even...I don’t know. Just call ,xx

It was five days until Christmas. And I needed to see him before then. I had to know what was wrong. I...I...just didn't know.

***