Chapter 34

"Dad!"

"Car-" he was cut off as I ran through the door and pulled him into a huge, long-awaited hug. I pulled away, smiling brightly at him as he mimicked my expression.

"It's so good to see you!" he hugged me again tightly. "I...I was so scared, Carly," he admitted quietly. I hugged him back, closing my eyes.

"I know. I'm sorry dad, but I'm fine, really. You don't need to worry," I reassured him. He stepped inside, placing his bag on the floor and looking around before he spoke.

"I know," he smiled, still taking in the house. It had been two years since he'd seen it after all. "Wow, it really doesn't look any different," he thought aloud. I laughed in response.

"Well, since you moved, a lot of things have changed. It may not look different, but it certainly feels different," I sighed. He didn't have time to say anything else because all of a sudden my mum was running down the stairs. At the bottom she stopped and looked over at us. I didn't have a clue what to say. What was I meant to say!? They hadn't seen each other since their divorce! How could I make this easier? 'There is nothing you can say to make this more awkward, so just say something!' my voice shouted. But no words came out. Oh my god...this was the longest anyone hadn't spoke for-

"-hello Maria," my dad interrupted my thoughts, and I sighed quietly.

"Hi Andy," she smiled, walking over to us. "It's been too long."

"I know. Thank you so much for letting me stay though, I really appreciate it," he replied, putting his arm around me and pulling me to his side. I looked up at him and gave a small 'thumbs up' gesture. Okay, so far so good. Maybe they'd made a truce over the phone or something...I didn't know. As if to make the situation even worse, Gary then came running down the stairs and over to us.

"Hi! You must be Andy, I'm Gary, nice to meet you," he said, walking straight up to my dad with an outstretched hand. My dad took it automatically, shaking it and replying.

"Nice to meet you, Gary," he smiled warmly. 1...2...3...4...I slowly counted in my head, looking around. And I actually thought it couldn't get any more awkward. I broke the silence, finding that I had to leave otherwise I'd probably scream.

"I'll go and make some tea," I quickly shuffled away, making my way to the kitchen. They were grown up adults, they could chat themselves, right? I didn't really want to be the puppet master of us all at this moment in time anyway.

Filling up the kettle, I jumped onto the island and swung my legs from side to side, patiently waiting for the water to boil. Feeling a soft vibrate in my pocket, I pulled out my phone and smiled when I read who the text was from: Harry.

- hello beautiful
My fingers began to dance across the keys with glee.

- hey handsome
I sent the message and jumped off the table, switching the kettle off before heading back to the living room where I found my mum, dad and Gary. They were all in mid-conversation which surprised me but also made me really pleased. Looking down, I found an incoming call from Harry and headed towards the stairs.

"I just have to take this - two minutes!" I called back to them as I ran up the stairs and into my room. I jumped onto the bed like a five year old girl, laying down on my stomach and kicking my legs around in the air.

"Hello?"

"Hey!"

"Hi!" I said brightly. At the sound of his voice my heart had literally melted. He could lighten up a pitch black forest, I'm sure.

"How are you?" he asked. I could hear a smile in his voice, which made me really happy.

"I'm good! Thanks so much for last night, I loved it," I quietly said, feeling myself blush slightly at the thought of his hand in mine.

"No problem, Car. I loved it too," he paused slightly before he spoke again. "Have you seen the newspapers?"

"I've only seen one slightly," I admitted. "But I haven't had a chance to read any yet," I added. "Is it okay?"

"Yeah, it just basically talks about us...a lot, and what I said last night. Don't worry, Car. Everyone loves you already. Have you checked twitter?" he asked. I widened my eyes to myself.

"Oh my god no! But I did get recognized today which really shocked me!" I laughed. He laughed along.

"Well you're in for a real shock when you check your twitter," he said.

"Have I finally got my 1000th follower?!" I asked with excitement.

"Bit more than that, Car!" he brightly replied. I fell back onto my bed, almost fainting at the sound of his perfect laugh.

"So...is your dad there yet?" he began.

"Yep, just got here," I answered.

"Oh God, sorry, I'll ring back later!" he quickly rushed.

"Noooo!" I shouted before he hung up. He began to laugh quietly.

"Okay!" he laughed. "Why, is it awkward?"

"Very," I laughed. "So...how are you?"

"Very happy!" he cried.

"Why!?" I sat up on my bed, intrigued.

"They weren't sure whether we'd be allowed but it's just been confirmed - we're all going home for Christmas!" he cheered. A smile spread across my face.

"Wow, that's amazing!" I replied. "I'm so happy for you all!"

"Me too, my mum is more though!" he laughed.

"I'm sure she is! So...Erm, when do you leave?" I asked, praying I didn't sound rude - I didn't at all attend to.

"Tonight," he answered. "I'm getting there pretty late but at least I'll be there for Christmas day. Here's the thing Car...I...they...well I want you to meet them, and they want to meet you," he stuttered. I felt my eyebrows raise and suddenly I was stuttering too.

"What...I...really?" I asked in shock. "You...you want me to meet your family?" I whispered. He began to laugh again.

"You sound so scared!" he said sympathetically. "Do you even know how amazing you are? They'll love you!" I looked up at myself in the mirror. I was cherry red. That was not attractive.

"I...well, yes, I'd love to meet them too," I admitted quietly. Harry began to laugh softly and I smiled to myself. Was it crazy that I missed him? As in, right now, even though I was talking to him, I missed him? I just had to see his perfect face!

"Great! Okay, also don't worry, I'm here until January the 4th so you can come whenever you want to," he said. I thought in my head about when my dad was leaving before I answered him.

"Well, my dad leaves on new years eve-"

"Morning or afternoon?"

"Morning." Silence.

"Well...would you want to come then? For new year?" he asked. I knew that he was grinning from the way he spoke.

"For new year? Really?" I asked.

"Yeah! Oh Car, it'll be amazing! Please?" he sighed. SIGHED. I couldn't even cope.

"Are you kidding? I'd love to! Thank you so much!" I couldn't believe it. I was meeting Harry's family. His family. And spending new years eve with them. Harry and I kept talking and when I finally hung up I jumped off the bed, ran down the stairs and hugged my phone as I entered the living room.

"I'm meeting Harry's family!!"

***