Chapter 72

“He’s got twenty seven tattoos!”

I felt a grin spread across my mouth as Carly lifted my shirt up, though when her hand traced my stomach by accident, I felt a wave of tingles shoot through me. Shit, no.

“Would he say he’s in L-O-V-E?” Zayn sung and I ran down the stairs towards the front of the stage with the other four lads, singing in unison. Rehearsals were going really well, and the past few days had been...good. Okay, better than good, amazing. The concert was now only three days away, and everyone was completely prepared for it. The dancers only had one more number to learn; the number I was looking forward to the most for personal reasons. The band was ready, and so were the lads and I. Now, it was just none stop rehearsals at Madison Square Garden every day. I was still awed at the fact that we were performing in arenas, but to be performing here, it was just mind-blowing. We were practising on stage right now and as I sung I looked around until my eyes found Carly, dancing the choreography. I had been watching all of the dancers over the past few days, and she was by far the best.  I didn't know how she did it; some of the girls here were two years older than her and sure, they were good, but she was better.  She danced like there was no tomorrow, and it really showed.

Carly. Things between her and me had been wonderful. At first, when she had told me that we could be friends, I was ecstatic, though part of me didn't believe it. Part of me thought that she was exaggerating the expression. She certainly wasn't. We were the two amusing people in rehearsals, constantly getting shouted at by everyone. I, myself, found it hysterical. Of course I hadn't forgotten about the way I had treated her six months ago - terribly - but I really felt like things were going to be okay. I had my best friend back, and she had hers. Everyone could tell that it was good for both of us; and I was acting like my old self again. The good self, who was liked.

Of course, I was still in love with her. Spending so much time with her recently had made me love her even more which I didn't think possible, but it didn't matter. I wasn't going to tell her, because I wasn't going to spoil what we had. I wasn't going to mess it up again. I had heard of loads of boys who were in love with their girl best friends, though hadn't acted on it. So I was simply another. And it was fine.

"Excellent!" Nick cried, snapping me out of my daze. "That's going to look amazing on the night. We'll take a ten minute break and then I'll meet the dancers here to learn the final number: nobody compares."

I grinned to myself, thinking about the true meanings of the lyrics that I had wrote when composing that song. Everyone nodded and began to exit the stage. I walked towards Carly and sat down next to her, watching as her eyes scanned the arena.

"You alright, Car?"

She nodded her head and then turned to face me.

"Yeah, it's just insane to think that this arena is going to be completely full in four nights' time."

"You're not nervous, are you?" I asked. Her blank response was enough to answer my question. I raised my eyebrows and shook my head, 

"Wow, Carly Gilbert - nervous!?"

She playfully pushed my side before responding.

"Can you blame me? There's going to be twenty thousand people here!"

"Nah, I don't blame you at all," I laughed, looking out at the empty arena. My thoughts began to wonder and my voice suddenly sounded, loud and clear.

'Sing her your song.'

It was right. Although I had put it off for awhile, I was ready to do it now. I stood up suddenly and held out my hand for Carly, who looked at me with a puzzled expression upon her face. I chucked and stressed my outstretched hand.