Chapter 70

“You’re in some deep shit, man.”

“Hello to you too,” I sighed, leaning back against the wall behind me. Why did I always have to take it too far? I should have been grateful enough that Carly had agreed to spend the day with me – hell, I never even expected that – so why take it to the next level and go to the biggest tourist attraction in the city? I was literally the definition of an idiot if I thought that we wouldn’t have been spotted. But we were. Big time. And when I’d finally got through to the lobby it was packed with paparazzi, and the only person who I’d wanted to see was gone. It was obvious why; she couldn’t stay there. She had probably already been mobbed. But that wasn’t what bugged me the most. What bugged me was the fact that she was now on her own somewhere, which, although she knew New York inside out, still made me feel queasy. Being tormented by so many people without expecting it really had an effect on you, so she was probably a mess right now.

“Harry?” Louis said on the other line, and only then did I realise that he had been talking to me for the past minute.

“Christ Lou, why do I always take things too far?” I sighed.

“That was pretty far, why were you two holding hands?” he asked.

“Jesus, they’re out already?” I groaned. Part of me expected them photos to not even be broadcasted; they weren’t through the paparazzi, after all.

“A girl tweeted one and now it’s everywhere,” he explained. “Everyone thinks you two are back together, Har. But isn’t that what you wanted?”

No!” I stressed, suddenly lashing out. “That’s not at all what I wanted! God, no! I haven’t even had a chance to speak to her yet...I just need to talk to her, really talk to her. And not just about rubbish, pointless things. I need to talk to her about that night.”

Silence elapsed on the other line, and I knew that he was processing what I had said.

“You want her back, don’t you?” he finally concluded. I closed my eyes and lifted my hand up to drag it through my curls.

“At first I didn’t; I didn’t think I was good enough for her. I still don’t, but...just seeing her again has brought everything back. I want to prove to her that I’m different now. I can’t live without her, Lou.”

“Then why the bloody hell are you on the phone to me?” he surprised me by saying. “You should be out there, looking for her!”

“I know I should, but it’s a big city. Have any of you heard from her?”

“I haven’t, but wait a second-” he paused. “-Georgia, babe, have any of you heard from Carly?”

After a minute or so his voice sounded again through my phone.

“They can’t reach her mate, but Georgia asked if you want her number to try yourself?”

“No,” I instantly said, shaking my head even though he couldn’t see me. “The reason she got a new phone was so I couldn’t reach her. I’m not going to mess with her again, ever. I’ll find her on my own.”

“Good luck,” he wished, and I thanked him before ending the call. I then stepped out of the hidden alley I had found nearby and began to walk along the street, free of both shades and a hat. I didn’t care. If I was spotted right now, then so what. I had had my few hours without fame, and honestly, with Carly, I had preferred it. But that wasn’t my life anymore, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Well, there was one thing. To regain even the slightest bit of normality, I needed Carly again. God, I just loved her so much. I needed to talk to her, and she needed to talk to me. But what good was it if I didn’t know where she was?