Chapter 79

Two weeks later.

***

“I remember when I first met you. You were wearing denim shorts and a cream knitted cardigan, and you looked effortlessly perfect. I remember when I first looked into them incredible blue eyes of yours, and I instantly knew that you were different. I instantly knew that I was going to fall for you. I can’t believe that was just over a year ago; it feels as though it was so much longer. Because I feel like I’ve known you my entire life. You are my entire life. You know that, right?”

Silence.

I smiled and looked down, rubbing my fingers over her bruised knuckles.

“Of course you do. Everyone does,” I whispered, barely even making a sound. I sighed and picked up the magazine next to me, opening it to a random page. I let out a laugh and looked up at Carly.

“It says here that Kristen Stewart is in New York,” I told her. She didn’t respond, but still I continued.

“She was at a restaurant in SoHo. You’ve probably been there before,” I smiled, knowing how much she liked her. I turned the page and narrowed my eyebrows at the bold title.

‘HARRY STYLES’ EX-GIRLFRIEND STILL IN COMA AFTER TWO WEEKS.’

I instantly closed the magazine and threw it back onto the table beside me, not wanting to read the article. I then stood up and walked to the bottom of Carly’s bed, taking hold of doctors report attached. I walked back to my chair and sat down, re-reading over the new amendments that had been made as time had passed.

Blood clot in brain.

Left leg broken.

Left arm broken.

4 x cracked ribs.

I averted my eyes, knowing that I couldn’t read on. God, I was a mess. I hated seeing her like this. I could barely function. Her presence, even though she was unconscious, was the only thing keeping me even remotely sane right now. Everything else was just blurry.

I took a sip of the water beside me and checked my watch. Half past two. I knew that I should eat, but I couldn’t leave her. What if something happened, and I wasn’t here?

‘You’ve been telling yourself that for the last fourteen days.’

My voice was right. I had been worried that she would wake up, or the opposite, when I wasn’t here. The blatant thought affected me so much that I had barely left her side. I wanted her to wake up and know that I had been here every single day, looking after her. I had talked to her, read to her, and told her how much I loved her. Constantly. There was nothing else that I could do...to save her. And I hated myself for that.

I suddenly turned my attention from Carly as the door opened behind me, and I met Maria’s eyes. She smiled at me and took another seat next to the bed containing her only daughter. When Gary and Maria had first arrived, they had barely acknowledged me, which was painful, though it was what I deserved. As the days had passed, and they had found me here every single day, always at Carly’s side, they had slowly realised how sorry I was. I hoped. Myself and Maria had had a real talk a few days ago, and I had told her the same thing I had told Carly’s father: that I loved her, and I was utterly sorry for what I had done. And that I would spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to her. It must have been clear how much pain I was in, because my state resembled Maria’s exactly. No one could ever truly understand the hate that I constantly felt towards myself when I thought about how terribly I had treated Carly, and I didn’t want to express that hate. I just prayed that people could see even the slightest ounce of pain that I was in right now, so that they knew. I snapped out of my inner thoughts and looked up at Maria who was holding out a coffee for me. I smiled, taking hold of the hot cup.