Chapter 67

I woke to the sudden sound of my alarm clock ringing, making me sigh with misery. I switched it off before throwing the covers back over me; I didn’t want to get up. After the events that had occurred last night, I felt embarrassment flooding through me, as well as a shiver. I swear I had caught pneumonia. After a few minutes I regretfully sighed and stood up, making my way towards the bathroom. I took a hot shower to cleanse my muscles and then headed back to my room to get ready. Looking out of my window, I found the sky a clear white which implied only one word: snow. It was on its way, and I wasn’t ready for the cold weather. I only had dance lessons on a Tuesday and so dressed in a pair of tracksuit pineapple dance pants and on oversized tee shirt, before wrapping my thick fur coat around me. Once I was finished getting ready I grabbed my duffel bag and said goodbye to my dad, before making my way out of the apartment, only to be greeted outside by unbearable weather. Jeesh, it was bloody freezing. I pulled my beanie further down over my ears to try and shield myself though it barely worked. I made my way to Julliard as quickly as possible and sighed with relief when I entered the warm building. As I reached my registration class, I hesitated for a split second when seeing Ryan close to the door. He caught my eye and ran up to me as I entered the room.

“Hey,” he whispered, taking in my thick coat and hat. “How are you?”

“Cold,” I responded, setting my bag on the floor before leaning against a table beside him.

“God, I’m sorry Carly; I should have thought to look on the roof sooner-”

“It’s not your fault,” I interjected. “Don’t worry.”

“I-” he broke off, closing his eyes. “About last night-”

“-I can’t believe you acted like that, Ryan,” I blurted, shaking my head. “I mean, I’d expect that from Harry, but not from you.”

“Carly, he was driving me insane,” he said, causing me to wince. “He started it! And what he said was much worse!”

“I don’t care what he said!” I shouted, lowering my voice when I found that we were drawing attention. “I don’t care because he’s not my boyfriend anymore. You are. And I can’t believe you would say that, when we haven’t even...” I trailed off, turning my gaze to the floor.

“Oh God,” he whispered above me. “I know. I was seriously immature Carls, and I’m so sorry. It was spare of the moment – I didn’t mean to hurt you in any way at all.”

“I just...” I began, looking up at him. “I – I know you didn’t. Just don’t let Harry torment you like that again, okay?” I asked. “Just ignore him.”

“I promise,” he breathed, signalling between us. “So...are we okay?”

“Yeah, we’re okay,” I smiled slightly, hugging him back when he wrapped his arms around me. After a few seconds I pulled away and looked up at him.

“I’m just going to see Ali,” I smiled before brushing past him, towards the other side of the room. Ali was already looking at me, pulling an awkward face. I sat down beside her.

“Hi,” I sighed, letting out a huge breath which I didn’t realise I had been holding.

“That looked awkward,” she commented, nodding her head in Ryan’s direction. He wasn’t looking our way, which I was thankful for.

“It was,” I admitted, throwing my head in my hands. “God, I just wish they hadn’t seen each other.”

“They would have met eventually, Carls,” she reassured me, though I just shivered.

“I think I’m coming down with something,” I said, shivering again.

“Oh God, are you kidding!? I’m not surprised; you were on the roof for two hours. And in that cat suit, too? You must have been freezing!”