Chapter 7

A loud slam echoed through to the living room and I turned around to face the direction I had came from. Nothing. There was nothing there.

"That's weird," I thought aloud.

"I know...maybe it’s a ghost!" Kristen said, laughing. Her phone buzzed and she pulled it out of her bag to check the message. After a few seconds her smile dropped and she looked around for a moment.

"What is it?" Niall asked, grabbing a slice of pizza from one of the boxes.

"Erm...Carly and Gabby had to go home. Gabby wasn't feeling well at all so Mr Johnny...I mean Johnny, took them home. They said they’re really sorry they couldn't say goodbye, but it was contagious," Kristen looked up, appearing very confused.

"Contagious?" Georgia asked. "But she seemed fine a minute ago."

I sat the pizzas down, thinking to myself. This didn't add up, at all. Truthfully, I was glad Carly had to go; I needed some time to myself (as I had told Louis), though a part of me wished that she was the one who was still here. That part of me was really confused. Interrupting my many thoughts, Kristen stood up.

"I think I should go guys, I'm sorry. Carly and Gab need their bags," she held up three bags of which I guessed to be theirs. "Thank you so much for having us over, we had an amazing day."

Everyone stood up and Georgia gave her a hug. I think they had got on really well. Kristen tried to get past me, though I blocked her path.

"How are you going to get home?" I asked, smiling.

"Erm...I'll walk!" she said.

"Don't be stupid. Here, I'll give you a lift - I feel like a milkshake anyway," I said, calling over to Lou: "Keys?" He threw them over and I caught them with one hand.

"I didn't know you could drive," Kristen said.

"Got my licence two weeks ago," I winked at her. "Sorry, but you're stuck with me."

"I don't mind!" She replied, grinning. "Bye everyone! Thank you!"

"Bye Kristen!" Niall stood up, showing a bright smile. I swear I saw her blush before saying goodbye, and then we headed out of the house. I noticed Liam follow behind.

"I’ll come with you, mate," he said. "Make sure Gabby's okay."

I opened the doors to Louis' Mercedes and we all climbed in. Lou didn't mind me using his car; we were like brothers, after all. Kristen sat in the passenger seat next to me to give me directions to Carly’s house. I really didn't know why I was doing this - I definitely knew it was going to be awkward when I saw Carly but I'd got myself into a lot worse situations so I was sure I would be okay.

Kristen soon pointed out a large cream house standing on a friendly looking road. This was Carly’s house? Wow. I now understood her confusion on why her mum worked overtime. This house was amazing. We all got out of the car, making our way towards the door when we heard lots of shouting. I turned my head to the right to see both Carly and Gabby shouting at each other, though not in a fully arguing kind of way. I suppressd a laugh. I really liked these girls; sometimes they could be so insane, it was hysterical.

***

"Carly!" I heard Gab shout - yet again - behind me. I hadn't stopped running but as I came to the bottom of my street I found myself finally freezing. I wasn't tired, I was simply scared that Gab was going to kill me if she didn't get a full chance to speak to me.

"Finally!" she sighed, coming up to me. "What the hell are you doing?!" she shouted really loudly, causing me to take a few steps backwards.

"What?!" I found myself literally shouting back. So apparently we were just shouting in each other's faces now.

"I had to BBM Kris whilst running, which was not easy!" she shouted again.

"I'm sorry!" I argued, putting my head on my hands. "I just had to get out of there!"

"Well why run off like superman?! I'm not an athlete like you, alright?!"

"Gab!"

"What!?"

"Stop screaming!" I screamed. We both stood there looking at eachother, then sighed and hugged it out. We started walking down my road towards my house when I paused.

"Wait - you BBM'd Kris straight away?" I asked, realizing that there might just be the smallest ever chance that she-

"Carly!" Gab screamed. I looked up and my eyes found Harry Styles' eyes. Harry Styles. Standing outside my house. My house. And he was looking straight at me and Gab. I seriously didn't have a clue what Gab was thinking so I looked over at her but didn't get a chance to say anything because before I knew it, I was being flung into the bush directly behind me. She pushed me with so much force I genuinely didn't know she had it in her, and I went flying backwards. I felt my head hit the floor so I touched it with my hand and felt pain instantly.

"What the hell, Gab?!" I managed to say before widening my eyes. Gab dove (and may I add, not that gracefully) towards me and I screamed. She fell directly on top of me then scooted over, blocking my mouth with her hand. I tried to ask her what was going on, though all it came out as  blurred muffles.

"Shh!" she whispered, winking and nodding her head. She tapped her finger to her brain and narrowed her eyes. "There's a chance he may not have seen us so we can just hide in here for awhile, see? Statistic, that's what I am," she nodded her head again. Jesus.

"He was looking directly at us!" I argued, though I doubted she would have been able to make out what I was saying.

"Carly?" a confused quiet voice said. We heard footsteps coming closer, so we both looked up to see Harry, Liam and Kristen looking at us through several twigs with a blank expression. I looked back at Gab whose hand was still covering my mouth. I slapped her arm and she flinched it away, I don't know why, I'd never had any strength in my wrists.

"Ow!" she cried.

“Sorry!” I whispered, and then looked back up.

“What was that about guys?” Kris asked. “Gab, why did you just fling Carly into the bush?” God, we got ourselves into some serious confusion. It surprised me how today I hadn’t even fully embarrassed myself, though now after realising Harry Styles was looking at me covered in leaves, the thought automatically faded away.

“It’s my contagious rage,” Gab sighed, nodding. “Yeah, the illness and all, I find myself acting like a maniac.” I just looked at her – I had no clue what she was talking about but I wasn’t asking in case I made the situation even more awkward. I didn’t want to look at Harry again, knowing the last time he’d looked at me was when he’d kissed me. But that didn’t matter; it meant nothing. The word ‘nothing’ circled around my head and I found reality finally sink inside me. I looked up and smiled the best I could at him, and he smiled back. I could tell that he liked me. Of course he liked me, as a friend.

***

“Let me help you up,” I said to Carly, who was still lying awkwardly in the bush. Whatever I had been thinking about her and what was happening to me automatically vanished at the sight of her. And looking at her now, I wanted to kiss her again because she looked adorable. There was no way I would though, I surprised myself by realising. Most other girls I would have, just to feel them amazing feelings again, but something told me not to with Carly. I didn't even know if she had a boyfriend. I didn't want her thinking I didn’t care about her feelings whatsoever, because that was completely untrue. I did care about her...but just as a friend. I hoped. She took my hand and I pulled her out.

“Thanks,” she whispered, brushing a few leaves from her clothes. I noticed one still in her hair so I took it out without thinking. Why had I done that? Jeesh I was too confused. She looked up at me and I found a small blush form on her cheeks. I nearly grinned, but kept it back.

We all began walking towards Carly’s door after a few seconds. We reached the door and Carly searched for her keys in her bag. After finding them she unlocked it and Gabby, Kristen and herself stepped inside. They all looked at each other for a moment and then Carly's gaze met mine. I smiled at her, and found myself putting a lot of effort in to make sure it looked okay. Hopefully it did.

"Do you guys want to come in?" she asked. "For a coffee or something?" Something...oh shut your thoughts up Harry.

I was just about to reply yes because of course I wanted to, when my blackberry beeped. I took it out of my jean pocket to find a message from Lou.

-get here NOW! Barbie brat's here and she's not leaving! I would kick her out but isn't there a law or something when it comes to punching girls? I really want to do that now though...omg, get back in 10 minutes or I'm snapping your raybans in half.

Nooooo. Not the rayban threat! I looked up to see Carly smiling at me. Damn, I really didn't want to say goodbye to her yet. Maybe I could see her tomorrow! No, that would look desperate.

"Err...I'm sorry Carly, I wish we could but Lou wants me home now, I really don't know why," I sighed. I looked over at Liam who was literally glaring at me.

"Oh...okay," she said, still smiling. "Hopefully we'll see you again soon."

"Of course!" Liam automatically said, looking at Gabby. Oh my god, could he really make it any more obvious that he liked her? There became an awkward mood and then Liam cleared it.

"Right, see you all soon then!" He looked at me, and I looked at him. I think he wanted to hug Gabby, so I reached over to Kristen.

"Bye Kristen!" She looked shocked, but didn't argue. I felt a warm friendship when I hugged her, and that was good. I could see Liam hugging Carly then Gabby. Crap, why didn't I think ahead? I now had to hug Carly. I walked over to her and she just smiled at me. I couldn't even tell what she was thinking, but I knew she had the brightest most beautiful smile I'd ever seen.

"Bye Car," I said without thinking, pulling her in for a hug. So now I'd given her a nickname...that looked great. I felt tingly all over when I was near her, it was crazy. But we both had to pull away, so I then gave Gabby a hug and me and Liam stepped down from the steps.

"See you later," Liam said as I unlocked the car. I just waved at all of them then caught Carly's gaze. She looked sad. I couldn't figure out why. After what seemed like forever, I pulled away from it and got into the car, closing the door and speeding off down the road.