Chapter 28

Pressure. Pressure on my hand.

“How long?”

“Should be any minute now, her heart rate has suddenly increased so she's becoming more alert. She'll wake up soon.”

Pressure again.

“I can't believe I almost lost her. This is my fault-”

“It wasn't your fault at all Mrs Gilbert, it was just unfortunate, she was very lucky though.”

“I've heard. Will she be okay?”

“Surprisingly there's nothing wrong with her. She almost suffered from a rib injury but was very lucky. It was a spare of the moment incident, and with a few days rest she'll soon be fine.”

“Oh that's great, thank you so much.”

“Not a problem, do you mind filling in this form for me? Just over here.”

“Of course,” I heard footsteps walking away so took the chance. I slowly opened my eyes and blinked a few times. Gab was sat there. She looked up and when she noticed me awake she quickly widened her eyes. She stood up, running over to me. 

“Oh my God Car,” she breathed a sigh of relief, lightly hugging me. “I'm so glad you're okay.” I stayed silent, looking around the room. I was in a hospital. Curtains draped around the booth I was laying in, closing off any contact with anyone else. I didn't want contact. I just needed time to think over what had happened. I looked down to find myself wearing a hospital gown. My mind swirled, making me go dizzy all over. I couldn't process anything.

The clock in the corner, slowly ticking and being the only think jabbing at in my mind. 3:30. 3:30 when? Day or night?

Voices. Familiar voices. I couldn't process what they were saying. I didn't want to. Voices. Lots of voices. Edging closer.

“Let us see her...now...waiting hours...we know...well if she's fine...” I focused, catching only short, fine whispers. A new, fresh voice spoke.

“Its not visiting hours...I let one in...can't...wait...you're one direction...please go...leave...”

Footsteps. Running closer. Lots of footsteps. All at once. Everyone came running into the booth and I shrank back into the bed, looking around at each one of them with sharp, confused glances.

“Carly!”

“Thank god!”

“Car!”

“You're okay!”

“You're awake!”

“Its all our fault!”

“Mrs Gilbert!”

“She's awake!”

“Guys!” Gab shouted and my head shot to her. “She's only just woke up and she's as confused as hell, let's all leave for a bit and let her see her mum first,” she stood up, squeezing my hand. I looked up at them all, not knowing what to do. I was too confused.

“Er...thanks...,” I breathed, doubting whether or not they would even hear me.

“We'll be outside,” someone encouraged, though I didn't look up or process their voice. I sat there, allowing my mind to try and rest. That's what I needed: peace. It didn't work though, instead it began to replay last night.

The concert.

What makes you beautiful.

Pain.

Closing in.

No room for air.

Darkness.

Blind.

No one could see me.

No one could hear me.

Tears.

Doctors.

Praying.

My lifeless body.

Giving up.

But he never.

Harry.

He never gave up on me.

He saved me.

Harry saved me.

My mind sparked, running over everyone that had just been standing there. Gab. Kris. Soph. Liam. Louis. Zayn. Niall. But not him. The only person right now that I needed to see.

***

A loud know on the door woke me from my dreamless nap and I slowly stood up, rubbing my eyes and heading to the door. Slowly opening it, I sighed at who was there.

“Hey,” she giggled, holding the pizza up.

“I didn't order pizza,” I said.

“I know. But since you've been away for awhile I thought this could be a little treat,” she winked, reaching over the door. I threw my arm across the frame, blocking her path.

“I...I can't do this anymore,” I admitted. Immediately her face hardened, altering drastically.

“What!?” she spat. “Harry...we both know we're not a couple, right? We're just friends with benefits! How wouldn't you want this?! Unless-” she cut off, suddenly laughing to herself. I felt myself frown.

“It's her isn't it?” She laughed again. I narrowed my eyebrows.

“Who are you even-”

“Don't talk to me like I'm dumb. That girl - the one that's in the papers!” She laughed.

“The papers?” I asked, shocked.

“Oh come on, Harry, admit it. It started with mtv, then her party, then that photo of you two on twitter, and now this-” she rushed, pulling a newspaper out of her delivery bag. Why did she even have that? Why would she buy that? “'Harry Styles saves dying fan',” she read aloud, and then laughed again. “Classic.”

“Give me that,” I snatched it from her hand, reading it over.

“You can keep it,” she scoffed. “Maybe it'll make you see some sense.”

“Don't talk about her,” I said, looking back up.

“That right there,” she pointed out. “Sort yourself out, Harry. You don't even want to go down that road. Take my advice. Believe me. Have a nice life,” she glared, walking down the stairs and away from my apartment. I sighed with relief when her tall, slender figure disappeared. Closing the door behind me, I walked back over to the couch where I sat down, looking over the bold, front-page article. After last night's show I had ran off, refusing to talk to anyone. I barely said a word to Lou when he finally came home. I'd blocked out everything that had happened, not wanting to think about it at all. Only now I realised that perhaps dodging it wasn't the right answer.

I didn't even know who I was these days.

***