Chapter 62

"Dad, I'm leaving!" I called into the empty hallway. After a few seconds of shuffling he appeared, quickly running towards me and hugging me tightly.

"Have a good day, Carles," he smiled and I turned, making my way out of his penthouse apartment looking over Central Park. His movie career had been going extremely well for him in the past year, giving him the money to rent out this swanky place without worry. I wasn't complaining; it was like a dream come true.

I made my way out of my new home and stepped out onto the busy streets of New York City. In no time I was walking into school and entering the dance changing rooms. I dropped my belongings into my locker and ran towards the dance room, unsure of what we were doing today. I found my friends standing around our teacher, Mrs Carter.

"Finally!" Alison grabbed my arm, pulling me into the huddle. "Now that Carly's here, can you tell us!?"

"Yes," Mrs Carter laughed, adjusting herself on her stool that she was sat on. I narrowed my eyebrows and looked at the hopeful faces of the other girls. What the heck?

"Julliard has been asked for dancers for an upcoming concert," she began. "...in Madison square garden."

"What?!" we all gasped in sync. I couldn't comprehend what I had just heard.

"What's the gig?" Alison asked. Mrs Carter grinned before shaking her head.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you...yet," she said. "I'll be allowed to reveal it soon enough. But girls...I have five female dance classes. For the concert I've only been asked to choose twenty students."

There were twenty students standing here now. And with five classes, that meant there was only a twenty percent chance that I would be picked.

"I'll teach you all a routine in class today. Auditions will be at lunch. If you don't get in don't worry; but if you do it will be a great opportunity for you and will look incredible on your CV. So good luck!"

I sighed, turning away from the huddle. Alison was instantly at my side, mimicking my actions.

"Christ," she whispered. "This is ‘gonna be hard to get, Carls."

"You'll definitely get it!" I complimented. "But I don't stand a chance. I'm a year younger than everyone else."

"It's not about your age, Carly. You're better than everyone, including me," she spoke.

"I really doubt that," I laughed.

"Jesus, you don't even know how good you are!" She complained. "Come on. Let’s learn this damn routine."

I spent the next hour learning a quick, complex routine. It consisted of intricate steps, group work and lifts. Overall, pretty extravagant. By the end of our session I was exhausted. Mrs Carter dismissed us and after checking my audition time, I made my way back to the changing rooms with Alison.

"So do you ‘wanna go out and grab a coffee before our auditions?" She asked as we sat down. "I'm in desperate need of caffeine right now."

"I wish I could, but I don't have a free period," I sighed. "I've got music in ten minutes."

"Oh crap, yeah," she huffed. "Well if I don't see you, good luck for your audition!" She cried, hugging me tightly.

"Good luck to you too, Ali," I grinned. "Not that you need it. You've easily got this."

"Oh, shush," she laughed, tying the laces on her converse before standing up. "See you later."

"Adios!" I laughed. I smiled to myself and stood up, walking towards my locker. The changing room was now empty so I quickly took off my cat suit and threw my leggings on. I had my shirt halfway over my head when a pair of cold hands touched my bare waist, a raspy voice at my ear.