Chapter 80: A Distant Future

"My Mother's dream..." Natsumi's face blurred at the mention of that. Despite all of Natsumi's contributions towards Lupus rarely did she ever think it was for her Mother's sake. Yes, through contributing in Lupus' missions Natsumi was slowly making strides towards Irene's dream, but that was never Natsumi's sole motivation for fighting.

A lingering shadow swelled over Natsumi's face, masking it in a dark veil.

"My Mother's dream..." Natsumi thought about these words again, allowing Jacen's voice to linger in her head for awhile longer.

But the longer Natsumi thought about these words, the more disheveled she felt. Natsumi was fully aware of many of people's reasoning for joining Lupus. Even though the reasoning did vary, they all eventually lead them down a path towards the same goal.

Freedom.

It was a simple dream, but one Irene and many others believed in with their heart and soul. A world of freedom leads to a path towards peace. A peaceful world where unfortunate events wouldn't transpire...

Events like the one long ago...

"No, I didn't let Erica live because of something like that..." Natsumi muttered under her breath. Natsumi didn't raise her head at all to face him, instead choosing to stare out the window losing herself in the distant world before them.

"Then why?" Jacen raised a brow, it was a bit odd to see Natsumi make a decision as rash as this one. Considering that if Erica survived, surely she would reveal Natsumi's identity to the world. Having the entire world know that the child of the "Mad Tyrant" is still alive would certain stir up chaos.

To many Irene was considered the most feared being in the world, similar to the Fujiwara Clan hundreds of years ago. Not only for her actions at Ashe City, but also because of the amount of mayhem she caused within the span of three years.

After the events of Ashe City Irene revolted, not only resigning from the Hero Association but swearing to bring the world down along with it. Many Heroes left the association to follow Irene believing in the world she wanted to create, even if it meant destroying the previous one to see it.

But Natsumi's actions not only slowed Lupus' advance towards that world, but also jeopardized their chance at reaching it. Jacen frowned lightly lowering his head hoping to meet Natsumi eye to eye "Then why did you let her live? What reason do you have to put all of our lives at stake."

Natsumi could not only hear the anger in Jacen's voice, but sense it as well. He was right, Natsumi had no right to make a decision as short sighted as that one, but Natsumi felt like it was the right choice...no matter how selfish it may have been.

"The bond between my Mother and Erica has nothing to do with me. I don't know what promises they may have had, but knowing their connection would never sway my decision..." Natsumi explained. Natsumi's voice had its usual softness, but gradually grew more stern after every passing word.

"Then why? Why would you let her live?" Jacen questioned, his anger quelled somewhat lowering his tone to match Natsumi's.

"Because I couldn't bring myself to become like him..." Natsumi's voice trailed becoming more distant as time went by. Jacen gave her an odd look, seemingly unclear by what she meant. But after a few fleeting moments everything clicked.

Natsumi finally raised her head to meet Jacen's gaze, she had a longing look once of distant memories. There wasn't a single day where she didn't think about what happened that night. The pain that she felt, not only physically but emotionally as well...

The day that her Mother died...

*****

She remembered feeling odd that night, a groggy sensation as if she had been sleeping all day. With a small shift of her body Natsumi moved, noticing that her movements were far more constrained than usual.