Chapter 1: Rising From The Ashes

"Is this seriously all we have?"

Cerulean blue eyes slowly narrowed at the collective amount of small papers spread out in front of her. She lightly bit her lip and shifted her attention onto the short teen standing beside her.

"If we add your most recent paycheck then that would come out to $1,550. That's barely enough to cover the rent and half the water bill."

A dark-haired teen looked down somberly before placing his hands into his pockets. His jeans were pale and beginning to lose color due to how worn out the fabric was. He had olive-colored skin and a fine pair of worried scarlet eyes. "Sorry... it's my fault we don't have as much this time around."

The raven-haired woman's gaze softened, and she lightly shook her head. She swiped her hand, sliding all the bills into a drawer.

"You don't have to apologize for anything Ren. I should be the one apologizing, I really shouldn't have raised you in a crappy apartment like this." She laughed before rubbing his shoulder. "So lighten up, don't worry about all of this stuff I'll take care of it."

"If we act more conservatively we can probably last for another month. Me and you take showers every other day, try to take smaller rations of food well. We can also go to the dry cleaners every other week for now on...then we should be good."

The woman kept her cheerful smile as she stared at Ren. "Either way, we can worry about this later you should start heading to school."

"I can skip if you want just to get some extra hours in." Ren offered to raise his head to meet Natsumi's motherly glare. "Ren, what have I always said?"

Ren glanced to the side before reluctantly murmuring, "Uhhh."

Natsumi got close to him and placed two of her fingers on opposite sides of his mouth, forcing it into an uncomfortable smile. "Let adults deal with adult problems! You're still a child, so I'd rather you enjoy your childhood for as long as you can." She then turned around and handed him a bag with half a sandwich inside of it. "Here take this before you go."

"But Natsumi if I take this then what are you going to-" before he could even finish his sentence, she politely cut him off by pressing her finger against his lips, "I'll be fine just go."

My name is Ren Tachibana. I am 15 years old and currently live in a rundown apartment with my sister Natsumi. For as long as I can remember, things have always been like this. We've always had issues paying our bills, and whenever I've brought up my concerns with Natsumi, she either brushes it off or tells me not to worry about it.

At first glance, it may not seem like a bad thing because it shows that she doesn't want me to stress about adult issues. But in the end, sometimes I wonder if I am the one holding her back from her happiness.

"Do you want to learn how to protect your city!?"

Ren's legs gradually stopped moving, and his gaze shifted upwards towards the giant televised billboard resting against the side of the building. The billboard flashed various colors before showing footage of a man wearing a skull mask fighting a bunch of gang members.

"Don't let injustice spread throughout this city!"

The skull-headed man then rushed at the members punching one of them hard across the face and impaling another with bones protruding from his back.

"If you wish to help protect this city then join Goldendale Academy the birthplace of heroes!"

Ren's eyes brightened at the sight of the ad, and he repeated the same words to himself "Goldendale Academy, being a hero seems like it would be so fun."