Chapter 156: The Birth of a Blood Moon (3)

"I... wasn't expecting this." Ren could only muster up the strength to say those words. He figured Mei had gone through terrible things to end up the way she is now. But never in his wildest dreams did he expect something that cruel.

"What's wrong Renji? Were my memories too much to bare?" Mei opened her burnt eyes; they were slowly being restored to their original form. "I warned you, accepting me means accepting all of me. The good, the bad, the light, and the darkness."

"I know but..." Ren couldn't find the words to express how he felt. All he could see was Mei sobbing as she consumed her family. The noises of bones breaking between Mei's teeth filled Ren's ears. The taste of the metallic blood transforming into sweet nectar coated his lips.

"I didn't expect it to be like this." Ren let go of Mei's head, for now, he had enough of invading her mind. Blood poured in rivers from Ren's eyes, and red streams flooded from Ren's nose as well.

"Tell me Renji..." Mei gave him a weak smile. "What did you expect? I told you that our people were slaughtered like animals. I told you that the Fumikos were behind it all. Did you expect me to lie? Do you think that lowly of me Renji? That I'd lie to you just to get you on my side?"

Ren didn't answer. He knew Mei was right. He did think that lowly of her. All she has done since they've met is torment him, planting little comments here and there to turn him against the ones he loves.

"Ikumi." Ren shook his head, trying to forget the image burned into his mind. But no matter where he looked, Ren only saw the dead. He saw them in the realm he created. He saw them in Mei's memories. He saw them in the real world, where he consumed many just to continue living.

"Yes?" Mei weakly responded to his call. Her face was burnt and bloody, but her skin was slowly beginning to heal. Ren could see Mei's hair reforming, this time as fine silk as black as night.

"I never understood you. You were always strange to me. I could never tell what you were thinking. I never knew why you did the things you did. I was never sure if the things you'd tell me were the truth." Ren felt his anger fade like a lingering shadow, and his face finally cleared.

"But after witnessing that. After seeing my people murdered, I feel like understand you a bit more." Ren took a deep breath, trying to keep his cool. He could feel his hands shaking as if ready to fall off. "And now I know everything you've told me has been the truth."

"We are the same you and I. The reason why I couldn't understand you is because I've yet to understand myself, and my purpose in this world." Ren felt cold. The passionate flames burning in his heart died when those words left his mouth. "Everything you've said. Everything you've done has been for the sake of our family has it not?"

Mei didn't answer him, but her face was more than enough to solidify Ren's conclusion.

"I understand that passion..." Ren envisioned it. "I understand that anger." Ren's voice burned into a growl. "I understand what it feels like to want to protect something so badly that you are willing to die for it." Ren felt his teeth clatter, nearly melting beneath the heat of his voice.

"I can only imagine how I'd feel if Natsumi or Nyssa died. I'd feel lost. I'd feel like I've failed even worse than I already have..." Ren's face turned hollow. "I've already lost my parents. I've almost lost Erica and Nyssa, I don't know what would happen to me if I lost anyone else."

Ren immediately fell back on that comment and stared directly into Mei's eyes. "No I do. If I lost them I'm certain I'd become just like you. A husk of my former self, and wrapped so deep in the darkness I'd be unable to pull myself out."

Ren slowly dispelled his ability, commanding the dead to set Mei free. She collapsed on the ground, covered in unspeakable burns but slowly healing. "But I don't want that to happen. I don't to become like you. I don't want to be wrapped in darkness, or controlled by my anger or hate for you or for Michael..." Ren felt his voice strain. He thought of Makoto and envisioned how hard he fought to save Mei. To give her a second chance at life even if it meant living it away from him.