Chapter 176: Fujiwara

"Renji!" Irene's voice shimmered like sunlight. She hovered over her child with a golden smile blessing him with everlasting happiness. "Aren't you such a cutie!" she cooed, tickling Ren and laughing at his childish giggles.

It had been six months since Ren was born and two years since she arrived on Crescent Island. Many things about Irene's life had changed since then. She was now happily married, choosing to start a life alongside Makoto instead of returning home to Vermillion City.

Irene often thought about returning home. To see Natsumi, and the rest of her family, however, Irene knew nothing good would come.

If she faced Natsumi again, what would she tell her?

How could she apologize for leaving again?

How could she apologize for having another child and not telling Natsumi about him?

Irene let out a stiff sigh trying to maintain a stable smile. Like when Natsumi was young, the last thing she wanted was to display sadness before her son.

"Oh Renji, you are such a cutie." Irene repeated, this time tickling his feet. "Mommy loves you. You know that don't you?" Irene knew Ren couldn't give her a proper answer, but Ren's giggling and babbling were more than enough to satisfy her.

"I love you Renji." Irene told him. Her voice was soft like a bouquet of feathers. "And I know Makoto loves you as well." Irene smiled sweetly, narrowing her eyes as if trying to hold back tears.

"That's why we gave you that name you know..."

"The name Renji means yearning love..." Irene ran her fingers through Ren's soft blue hair. His hair was darker than hers and darker than Natsumi's. Even as a baby, Ren took after his father. He possessed Makoto's medium brown skin and misty red eyes.

"But I hope love isn't something you'd ever yearn for..." Irene leaned close, kissing him. Ren slowly closed his eyes, dozing off. "As your mother, I'd want nothing more than for you to be loved by all..."

"But these eyes of mine have seen many things..." Irene said sadly, her golden eyes dazzled, illuminating nothing but pain and sorrow. "You will be loved by some. Adored by others, and hated by many..."

"When you travel to the outside world, you will face many enemies. There will be people who lie to you, and tell you that they love you. They'll take advantage of your kind heart and use it against you, to hurt you any way they possibly can..."

"But when that happens you mustn't allow yourself to fall. You must get up, and continue, because falling and rising is the path destiny has created for you..."

"Because you are the sovereign that will destroy the foundations of the world and turn it to ash."

"Just as you are the Garuda, destined to guide our people towards Heaven." Irene raised her head and noticed Makoto standing at the doorway. He looked solemn like always, possessing a regretful smile and a heavy stare.

With a single look, Makoto could tell Irene was struggling with her conflicting feelings.

Irene, the Hero, wanted to leave the island and bring Ren along with her, acting as a guide to direct Ren down the path he was fated to walk.

While Irene, the Mother, wanted to stay on the island and protect Ren from all threats that'd come his way. Knowing full well that the red viper lurked nearby in the shadows.

"Ire..."

"Don't." Irene snapped. Tears were already running down her face, staining her cheeks, and damping her sunny smile. There wasn't a single mother in the world who would want to subjugate their child to this fate.