Chapter 72: A Dragon's Dream Part 2

With a series of steps Erica found Irene sitting on her patio holding a simple stare. Irene didn't seem to be looking at anything in particular, but appeared to be in a slight daze seemingly unaware of Erica's presence.

This was something that Erica had noticed Irene do from time to time even back from when she was a child. Even though she initially found it odd Erica never questioned it, knowing full well that it was moments like these when Irene looked to be her happiest. 

"The world really is beautiful isn't it?" Erica's face lightened at Irene's words. It was rather common to hear things like this from her, but most of the time Erica found herself speechless. But this time was different, with a warm gaze Erica's eyes scaled upwards only to look on in the distance.

The sun filled the sky with warm colors, bidding farewell before it succumbed to its daily slumber. 

"It is, isn't it?" Erica soon lowered her head, pulling her eyes away from the sunset before her. Even though Erica's words were truthful, Erica never had a deep appreciation of the world around her. At least not to the same degree as Irene.

"It's a blessing simply to be born into it." Erica glanced over at Irene, feeling herself drawn to her simply by Irene's words alone. The way Irene spoke was different compared most, her words were smooth and her voice was delicate. Erica's heart would always feel at ease after hearing her speak.

But this time felt a little different. Even though Irene's voice didn't seem all that different, Erica could sense something was off. Once Erica's eyes rested upon Irene's she noticed something that she had only seen a few times before. Irene's eyes burned powerfully with Kuso energy, presenting a mastery in the ability of the likes that no one had ever seen.

Erica lightly shuddered she had never seen eyes so pure. Even though Erica already knew that Irene was a master of the ability, she didn't think it possible that her eyes could have evolved once again. 

But with that realization another thought coursed through Erica's mind "Have her eyes been activated this entire time?" Although initially it doesn't seem like a big deal, Erica knew full well the repercussions of having your Kuso activated for extended periods of time. If not undone the sensory capabilities of Kuso users will be permanently damaged, causing varying side effects depending on the ability. 

"Sissy..." Erica's voice escaped from her lips in the form of a whisper. It took her a moment to collect herself, only to repeat the call once more "Sissy! Your eyes...there..." Before Erica could even finish Irene glanced at Erica causing her to freeze up.

Irene's stare was a bit different than before, although bright the stare itself was as cold as ice. Reminding Erica immediately of Sayuri, but unlike Sayuri's eyes this coldness wasn't created by a bitterness towards the world. The icy feeling seemed like it was forged from something else entirely. 

"I am sorry Erica..." Erica's face paled when she noticed Irene's mouth begin to quiver. It was the first time in a period of minutes, that it felt like Irene was actually speaking to her. "You're sorry?" Erica questioned, seemingly puzzled by her comment. 

Even though Erica was used to Irene's awkward quips, seeing her with a stare as apologetic as this one made Erica's skin crawl. "Why is she apologizing?"  the question ran through her head, at least a thousand times. It was rare for her to see Irene look so bothered, so her silence only made her feel even more anxious.