Chapter 155: The Birth of a Blood Moon (2)

The fire ran across the floor like a blue line, binding the two in an infinite loop. Fire filled Ren's vision as he gazed upon his new world. "Irene's Dream." it was a world of his creation. One manifested by his mind and heart's deepest desire.

"This is it." Ren exhaled; he could see ashes spewing from his mouth. The air was hot, arid, and smelled like a war-zone. For miles, Ren saw bodies. Some burnt, and others stripped of their skin, leaving nothing but the bone.

Ren stared at his world with sinful eyes; he remembered there was a time where a sight like this would leave him at a loss for words and broken beyond repair. But those times had long passed. Death was something that had always been present in Ren's life, regardless if he wanted to accept it or not.

Irene died protecting them from Michael.

Makoto died protecting him from Kazuto.

Ikumi died so Mei could experience life.

Death had remained a present figure for both Ren and his bloodline. Saving them when necessary and taking them when fate deemed it time.

Ren's eyes burned as they searched the scorched earth. Among the thousands of bodies, it was challenging to locate Mei. He had sentenced her to Hell, an eternal loop that would bring Mei close to death only to heal her before death swung its scythe.

However, Ren couldn't sense her reiki. Her life force had vanished completely, while her venomous presence lingered throughout the world.

Blue flames cackled as if the dead were laughing at the living. Skeletons crawled and moaned as if coming to life. This eternal darkness. This infinite Hell was a reality unlike any other, a unique form of power maturity accessed by very few throughout history.

By dispersing his ability, outwards, Ren can warp reality in a specific area to his liking. Within it, Ren is stronger than what he'd be usually. His strength, speed, and defenses all increase naturally to keep up with the realm's power. However, in return, his stamina decreases considerably. As of now, Ren can only hold Irene's Dream up for around 5 minutes.

***

"Why? Why do you do this to me Renji?" Mei's voice rippled through the flames like a raging whirlwind. Ren looked around. He didn't appear shocked in the slightest, just cautious for what destruction Mei could bring.

He had heard stories from Erica and Dustin about Mei. How formidable she is and how many people dread to face her. Erica described her as a barbarian, possessing unrivaled physical strength and blood-lust like ancient warriors. 

Ren had an idea of what could come by betraying her. He knew his life would undoubtedly be at risk. But he didn't care. His life was a small price to pay in the grand scheme.

"Mom, Dad, Erica, Natsumi and even Suzume. All of them have risked their lives for me, isn't it fair I at least do the same." Ren's fist throbbed as much as his lungs. He could hear his body screaming, his fist yearning to strike Mei with all of its might. But Ren knew to keep his cool. One misstep could be his end.

"I thought we were family..." Mei's voice echoed in the darkness like a low growl.

"We are family." Ren assured, "But you're dangerous Mei." his eyes scoured the world, searching for anything that felt out of place.

"Yes, but so are you." Mei hissed. "You are even more dangerous than me." Ren noticed the ground bubble before an arm reached out and pulled itself up. The arm was oddly colored, appearing in an assortment of black and red. The flesh that coated Mei's body had melted off, leaving nothing more but a bloody goop that clung to her like a parasite. Smoke and steam sizzled off of Mei's body as she crawled from Hell's depths, reclaiming her place as a genuine devil in this world.