Chapter 46: A Lifetime

It had been six whole months since Ren had parted ways with his sister, and begun his new life with Erica. Even though it has been an eventful six months, they were filled with more grief than he had hoped.

The emotional weight of everything was starting to send his mind into a frenzy. The event that was now being called "The attack on Vermillion City" was still fresh in the minds of the citizens. People would speak about it daily, in school, on the street and even in stores that he would visit.

Even though he understood why it would be spoken about so frequently, he couldn't help but feel distant about everything. The thought of the event made him feel sick to his stomach, and the lies told on television to hide the Hero Associations incompetence.

The people who did the most to protect the city were the ones who suffered the most.

While those who did nothing, or only managed to escalate the problem are praised more than no other.

The amount of power that is held within the words of Heroes is disgusting, and only seemed to strengthen the corruption Erica has mentioned time and time again.

Ren's eyes weakened as a soft sigh escaped from his mouth. The intricacies of politics and global issues weren't something he had an interest for, nor the brain capacity to bother learning.

In fact it was probably the least of his worries. With the way how things were currently spinning, much more pressing issues were now upon him.

The sudden reveal of his maternal lineage for one, and even the lack of Natsumi in his life as of recent. It has been an entire month, and he hasn't been able to contact her even once.

It was the first time in his life he had felt a sudden distance between the two of them. Even though physically they've been far apart for some time now, it never felt that way. She'd usually send him a text every few days just to be filled in on how he was doing.

But now it seemed like her presence was gone.

Ren silently pondered on everything as streams of thoughts crossed his mind. Good ones, Bad ones, and even not so logical ones.

As he continued to ponder on these questions his body reflexively dug out his phone and began to scroll.

It was something he had done a few times before, and a reaction he was far used to. His eyes looked down at the screen before becoming glazed over.

"Why haven't you called me back, Natsu."

"Geez why do you seem so gloomy"

With eyes as weak as a smoldering flame Ren glanced upwards only to meet the gaze of a much more passionate individual. Their violet eyes clashed with his own, creating a stream of emotion to be shared between the two.

A wave of concern momentarily gleamed over Dustin's face before immediately falling back on his words.

He walked by him and patted his shoulder with a smile only to make a small motion of his hands as if he wanted him to follow.

"Let's talk about it over some Hot Chocolate alright?"

His voice was warm and cheerful, and hearing it once more managed to bring a smile to his face.

It had been about two weeks since they had last spoke. With the slew of events that has been going on it was hard to make time for a meet up. Although he had wanted one for awhile.

It didn't take long for the two of them to find at table at the cafeteria. Though due to how early it was the staff weren't serving food yet.

"Shit, I was hoping I could drink a hot one while I studied."