Chapter 9

"For all you examinee listeners tuning in, welcome to my show today!" A man yells to the crowd, waving his hand, "Everybody say "hey"!"

The crowd goes silent, against the man's wishes, causing said man to visibly twitch in annoyance. Sitting in the crowd was Hoshiko, along with her new friend Uraraka, both girls watching the man trying to hype up the crowd, but to no avail.

"What a refined response," The man says, "Then I'll quickly present to you the rundown on the practical exam!"

Everyone stays silent, except for the low rumbling of nearby teenagers talking about the pro hero in front of them.

"Look, Amari!" Uraraka whispers, nudging Hoshiko's shoulder, "It's the Voice Hero, Present Mic! Wow"

Hoshiko gives a gentle smile to Uraraka, happy to see the brunette girl full of happiness, almost making the area around them light up from her eagerness. Hoshiko looks over at the pro hero, Present Mic, examining him. He was a long slim man, with thin arms and legs, but a wide form. His hair was a slicked up flashy blonde mohawk, wearing headphones on his head and shaded sunglasses. His clothes were flashy, wearing a matching set of a leather jacket and pants, with a stereo system strapped up around his neck, as he continues to talk to the quiet crowd.

"As it says in the application requirements, you listeners will be conducting ten-minute mock urban battles after this!" Present Mic exclaims, gesturing to the TV screen behind him, as it starts to show map coordinates, "You can bring whatever you want with you. After the presentation, you'll head to the specified battle center, okay?"

Hoshiko and Uraraka look at their notecards they were given earlier but we told not to open, scanning for their desired battle center.

"Hmm..." Hoshiko hums to herself, "Test Location: Battle Center A."

"Psst!" Uraraka whispers beside Hoshiko.

Hoshiko glances over to Uraraka, seeing the brunette showing Hoshiko her notecard. Uraraka points underneath her examinee number, showing Hoshiko her test location.

"I got B" Uraraka whispers, "What did you get."

"A," Hoshiko simply responds, "At least we won't have to fight each other."

Both teenagers grow silent, listening intently to Present Mic continuing his instructions for the entrance exam.

"Three different types of faux villains are stationed in each battle center. You earn points for each of them based on their level of difficulty. Your goal, dear listeners, is to use your Quirks to earn points by immobilizing the faux villains," Present Mic explains, as the screen behind him shows a simulation on what participants in the entrance exams have to go through, "Of course, attacking other examinees and any other unheroic actions are prohibited!"

Everyone trains their eyes on a sudden movement, Hoshiko seeing a student across the room stand obediently, raising their hand high in the air. The student was a tall man, with dark blue hair and glasses. His demeanor reeked of prestige, acting as if the presentation was a classroom, and he was one of the students always asking questions, "May I ask a question?"

Present Mic looks over at the student, pointing towards him, "Okay!"

A light shines on the student, as he points at the paper that each student was given out, showing a less-showy version of the instructions Present Mic was giving, "On the printout, there are four types of villains. If that is a misprint, then U.A., the most prominent school in Japan, should be ashamed of that foolish mistake. We examinees are here in this place because we wish to be molded into exemplary heroes."

The blue haired-boy in glasses then turns and points to a distant figure Hoshiko wasn't able to see, "In addition, you over there with the curly hair- you've been muttering this whole time. It's distracting! If you're here on a pleasure trip, then you should leave immediately!"

Hoshiko doesn't help but raise her eyebrow at the blue-haired student, slowly shaking her head.

"Talk about teacher's pet" Hoshiko thinks to herself.

"Okay, okay, Examinee Number 7111," Present Mic says, calming the student, giving the student a thumbs up, "Thanks for the great message. The fourth type of villain is worth zero points. That guy's an obstacle, so to speak. There's one in every battle center- an obstacle that will go crazy in narrow spaces. It's not impossible to defeat, but there's no reason to defeat it, either. I recommend that you listeners try to avoid it."

The crowd full of students start to murmur in disbelief, processing Present Mic's words. Hoshiko sighs, resting her chin on her hand that was propped on the table in front of her, thinking about Present Mic's words as well.

"Obviously, the robot will be the biggest out of the three," Hoshiko thinks to herself, as she lightly bites her lip in thought, "Many people will grow distracted from it. The best idea is to stay away from the zero point robot, as what Present Mic said. At least these robots have a rank point skill. So, the ones that are worth one point are the easy mode robots. And each time the point goes up, the harder the robot will be."

"That's all from me!" Present Mic announces, "Finally, I'll give you listeners a present- our school motto! The hero Napoleon Bonaparte once said: "A true hero is someone who overcomes life's misfortunes." Go beyond. Plus Ultra!"

Everyone was started to get escorted out of the building, directing students to their desired test locations. Hoshiko sighs, standing out of her seat, swinging her bag over her shoulder once more, watching a group of Test A students walk past her, being escorted by chaperones holding a sign that simply had the letter A written on it.

"Good luck with your battle, Uraraka" Hoshiko says to the brunette, who was slowly packing her things up, slinging her coat back on.

"Oh-sorry!" Uraraka apologizes, not noticing Hoshiko for a few seconds, "Good luck on your battle too! This is so scary! I hope I do well."

"You'll do fine. Just do what Present Mic said," Hoshiko calms the girl down, "And, y'know, go plus ultra."

With a determined smirk on Hoshiko's face, she bids Uraraka farewell, as she walks towards the group of Test A students, silently praying that things will go her way. Because, if not, she's screwed.