Diners + Bets

*Avery's point of view*

My heart stopped. I felt my throat closing up as Rocky placed his hand on the back of her neck, pulling her closer.

My first instinct was to run, and that's what I did. I didn't know where I was going, I just let my feet carry me away, and somehow I managed to get all the way to the parking lot before I heard him calling after me.

I stopped running and turned to look at the boy running after me. His blond hair was flapping around as her made his way to me.

When Kendall reached me in the parking lot, wordlessly, he wrapped his arms around me. I just bawled into his chest. He let me cry, running his fingers through my long wavy hair.

“Better?” Kendall questioned, wiping the tear that escaped from my hazel eye. I nodded my head, wiping my hazel eyes with the sleeve of my shirt.

Kendall looked at me with those green eyes, taking my hands in his. “You wanna get out of here?”

~~~

We ended up down the street at a 50's themed diner down the street from the bowling alley. When we walked in, Kendall's hand was still wrapped around mine.

A tall red head came walking up to us. She snapped her bubblegum, cocking her hip to the side. “Just the two of you?” Her voice was full of attitude.

“Yeah, can we get a booth?” Kendall questioned. The waitress nodded her head and led us to the back of the restaurant.

After we sat down, the redhead walked away, and a few seconds a tall mexican girl walked up with a beaming smile.

“My name is Jasmine and I'll be your waitress tonight.” She grabbed her notepad. “What can I get you guys to drink?”

“Iceed tea please.” My voice was quiet, still sore from all thr crying I did.

She turned to Kendall. “I'll take the same.” The waitress walked away, and Kendall turned to me. His intense green eyes were boring into mine. “So, what happened at the bowling alley?”

I took a deep breath, and let out a humorless chuckle. “You guy straight to the point don't you?”

He smirked. “And you're avoiding the subject.” His blond hair fell into his eyes.

I nodded my head. “The guy in the next lane was my ex boyfriend. And his date was one of my co workers.”

“Ouch.” Kendall said, gritting his teeth.

“Yeah, I know!” I exclaimed. He reached over the table and rested his hand over mine.

“I know how much this sucks.” Kendall let out a chuckle. “I caught my ex making out with one of my football buddies.”

The waitress came with our drinks. “Are you guys ready to order?”

Kendall looked over his menu. “I'll take blueberry pancakes with a strawberry shake.” They turned to me expectantly.

“Oh, I'll take chocolate chip pancakes and a Oreo shake.” I ordered, giving her the menu. She walked away and into the back room. I turned back to him, a small smile on my face.

“Why you being so nice to me Kendall?”

He looked into my eyes and had a smile on his face revealing his amazing smile. “I'm not gonna lie Avery. I like you.” He rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand.

I inhaled sharply, taking my hand and hiding it under my thigh. “Look, you are a great guy, but I just got out a serious relationship and I don't want to make you the rebound guy.”