Dinners + Dads

When Zander pulled into the long driveway twenty minutes, he look over to his twin sister, who was quite the whole way there. “You okay?” His chocolate brown eyes matching hers.

Avery sighed slightly, fumbling her fingers. “Yeah, I guess I'm just nervous.”

He smiled softly. “Don't. They'll love you.” He promised, than hopped out of the car, walking over to her side and opening to her door.

She let out a gasp when she saw the gigantic house. It was at least three stories high, with a huge garage attached to the side. When the twins walked into the foyer, she noticed a maid cleaning the den to the left, while a man in a white apron managed the stove in the kitchen to the right. Avery was in awe.

Zander walked over to a small box on the wall, pressing down on a little button. “Mom. Dad. We're home.”

The maid came up to Avery and Zander, taking their coats and disappearing into the next room. “Okay Alexander, dinner's gonna be done in a half an hour.” A man with a heavy Italian accent called through the box.

Two little kids, not older than eight came running down the twirling stairs. The little girl had bouncing light brown curls framing her heart shaped face that carried a giant smile. And the little boy who was at her heels had long hair with curls matching his sister's, but it was a light brown.

“Zander!!”The little girl exclaimed, jumping into her brother's arms. “Is that her?” She asked eagerly, pointing at Avery.

Zander smiled. “Yeah, Zoey, that's our sister.”

Avery felt a tug at the bottom of her tan knit sweater dress, she looked down to see the little boy with a sweet smile on his face. “Thank you.”

She squatted down to his level. “For what?

Zachary threw his arms around her neck. “For saving daddy.” Avery's heart fluttered as she hesitantly wrapped her arms around her new little brother.

“Oh... You're welcome.” Her voice was quiet as she tried not to cry.

“Oh, I see the children have met.” A sweet female voice chimed in, snapping Avery back into reality: She was here to meet her biological father.

Avery dropped the hug and looked to see a beautiful woman who had long dark blond hair and green eyes, standing in the arched doorway with a smile on her face. The teenager stood up, awkwardly moved forward in her tan ugg boots. “Um, hi. I'm Avery.” She tried to stick out her hand to the women.

Instead of shaking her hand, the women pulled her into a hug. “I'm Stella Cruz.” She dropped the hug, but kept her hands on Avery's shoulder, holding her at arm’s length, taking in her looks with a bright smile on her face. “Welcome Avery.”

“Thank you.” She replied quietly. “You have a lovely home.”

“Why, I'd like to think so, considering I paid for it.” A male voice cut through the room jokingly. Stella dropped her hold on Avery and made her way to the side of the man. “Avery Cassadee Mason. My beautiful daughter...” His voice was near it's breaking point.

Stella rested her hand on Zander's shoulder. “Kids, why don't we go into the kitchen and give these two a moment.”

The three other children filed out of the room, leaving Avery and her father alone for the first ever. He led her into the dimly light den, where he sat in an overly stuffed leather chair, motioning her to do the same. “I don't even know what to say.” He confessed.

Avery gave a slight chuckle. “That makes both of us...”

“Gosh, you look just like your mother.” He paused, than looked into her dark brown eyes. “How is she? She's doing good?”