Chapter 25

The next morning, Sky woke up groggy but deliciously sore. She looked at the empty side on her bed and sighed reaching over to check the time. It was late in the morning, so she was able to sleep in. It would've been the perfect morning if Sage was in bed with her but he most likely snuck out last night. Still, his presence meant everything including his sweet words and finally saying 'I love you'. It made Sky's year. 

Her door slowly opened with a knock coming afterwards.

"Breakfast Ms. Garcia." 

The maid came in and brought her a delicious plate of breakfast on a tray with eggs, toast, sausage, a bowl of grits, and a glass of orange juice. Sky's mouth watered from the sight and smell of it.

"Thank  you."

The maid set the tray down on her nightstand. "How are you feeling? Do you have your medicine?"

"Yes ma'am I do. And I'm just hungry at the moment so no weird feelings yet. Have you had a break or vacation?"

It occurred to Sky that she has seen their maid work every single day ever since she was hired. During Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, weekends, and other holidays where she took care of her and Chase after their mom passed. She didn't think the woman took a vacation but that could be the evil doing of Carol making her work day and night. 

"Yes, I have. Well once or twice every three years I suppose. Your stepmother insist I carry out my duties more."

What! That was insane and very much illegal! How could Sky not see this? She was probably too busy hating her own life to be invested in others. Carol has no right to treat this poor woman like a slave, even if the money was worth it. Probably not in her case.

"Please don't call her my stepmother but what? I'll talk to my dad about it. You should have days off and vacation! You have a family too." Sky grabbed her plate and started to eat, moaning in the amazing cooked flavors that danced on her tongue. A homecooked meal was hard to come by for her. "This house is spotless and I know how to cook and clean when it gets dirty. You shouldn't be here everyday even though I do love your company. 

The maid grinned a little with a guilty look on her face. How many times has she looked like that in front of Carol when she scolded her for a wrinkle on her clothes or a plate not perfectly cleaned?

"Apologies Ms. Garcia. I don't mean any trouble. I am qualified for being an inhouse maid, so I do have chores for the house that keeps me busy each day." With permission, she sat next to Sky on her bed. "My family is happy and I'm happy as long as I keep you and your family content. There's no worries and I see them from time to time. They live in Arizona and are comfortable which keeps me sane."

Sky sighed, feeling more guilty. "No, you should be able to go home and spend time with them and not worry about cleaning all the time. Are you married?"

She was beautiful and very kind and humble. She must have men falling at her feet. It still wasn't fair. Even maids who worked in mansions have families they go to on a regular basis after work. 

"I need the money, so it's fine. Really. And no Ms. Garcia I'm not married." She said chuckling.

"You have a boyfriend? Kids?"

Sky leaned her on her shoulder while she ate. Interesting. She finally took her pregnancy vitamins and swallowed the orange juice down.

"Nope. Just me and I. I keep to myself and no one sparked any interest to me yet."

Even more interesting.

"Hmm. What's your name?"

"Magdalene." She smiled and stood up grabbing the empty plates and tray. "Well, if that'll be all. Do you want me to schedule your doctor appointment for the baby?"