sixty three

Courtney's POV~

Four days later, I finally get to go home. I sit up, feeling really awake for the first time. I'm out of my neck brace, no more wires connected to me. It feels nice. But I still have a cast on my leg and an ache in my stomach where I had to have surgery.

"Can I come in?" Brendon knocks on the door and I nod. He hands me a bag of clothes. "Here's some clothes you can put on and then we can head out."

"Thanks." He pushes my wheelchair towards me and I hop into it. I roll into the bathroom and shut the door, locking it behind me.

I take the hospital gown off and put on my shirt first, knowing that's going to be the easiest thing. I pull the shorts out and hold them up. How the hell am I supposed to put these on? I hesitantly unlock the door, cracking it open just a bit.

"Uh.. Brendon?"

"Yeah?" I feel my face turning red.

"Can you help me real quick?" He opens the door a little more and steps inside. His eyes graze over every inch of my body.

"Yeah." He pushes the shorts up my legs and I get goosebumps. "I'll lift you up and you can pull them up all the way." I nod. He wraps his arms underneath my armpits and gently lifts me up like I'm nothing. His breath is hot on my neck. I quickly pull my shorts up the rest of the way and he sets me down.

"Thanks." He averts his eyes to everywhere but my face. A brief display of Brendon taking off my clothes appears behind my eyes. So he really knows me.

"I think they just want to set an appointment with you and then we'll be good to go home." I can tell it hurts him to talk to me.

"Okay, awesome." He opens the door and I roll myself out, meeting Dr. Pierce.

"Are you all ready to go?" I nod.

"Absolutely."

"I'd like to see you back in a few weeks, but if anything feels wrong, don't be afraid to come back here sooner. We'll have pain medicine sent to your pharmacy and you can make an appointment with the nurse outside."

"Sounds good." I look up behind me at Brendon who nods.

"You're free to go, Ms. Covington." He smiles and I smile back, saying goodbye. I make an appointment to come back in three weeks and then we're finally on our way out.

My arms start to get tired of pushing myself everywhere. I slow down and Brendon leans forward.

"Need help with that?" I shake my head, a little short of breath.

"I'm okay." I start to push myself again but Brendon stops me. He kneels in front of me so we're eye level. He grabs my hands and sets them in my lap.

"You don't need to act strong for me. You just went through a lot, the least you can do is let me push you." I bob my head up and down, a tingling feeling bursting in my stomach from how close we are. He almost leans in to kiss me, but realizes that it's not the best idea.

He returns to his place behind me and begins to push me down the hall. I close my eyes and let the floating feeling surround me.

The doors open and the wind blows through my Hair. It's so freeing to feel the sun heating my skin. He takes me to his car and opens the passengers door.

He picks me up with a frown on his face. I wrap my arms around his neck and look up at him. His eyes connect with mine at the last second before he sets me down. He shuts the door and folds my wheelchair to put in the back seat.

The car ride is dead silent. He won't even look at me or say a word. His gaze is fixed on the road.

"Do you mind if I turn the radio on?" He nods. I press the button and I feel him instantly relax at the music. There's still a little tension in the car. And then he starts singing. I raise my eyebrows. "You have an amazing voice." He chuckles.

"So you've said."

"I guess I've always been smart." He grins for the first time. He has a beautiful smile.

"I guess you have." Now that the ice is broken, I decide it's okay to ask more questions about what we were before this.

"So.. will you finally tell me how we met?" He slightly smiles and I stop him before he can start talking,"It's a long story for another time, I know, I know. But I'm going to be living with you, so I think I have the right to know why."

"You sure you're ready for it?" I roll my eyes playfully. He glances at me sideways, a mischievous grin playing on his lips.

"Yes, I'm sure." He waits for a minute, building the story up by stalling.

"Just remember that you asked for it."

"Get on with it, Urie." He laughs.

"I was your boss. You were my employee. And then.. we got together." It hurts me to try to stop smiling.

"While we were-"

Another memory of Brendon. He pushes me up against the wall and kisses me roughly, but passionately. He picks me up and puts me on a desk, running his hands all over my body.

"Courtney? Are you okay?" His hand shakes my shoulder lightly. I look over at him and almost see him in a different light. "Courtney?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You zoned out on me."

"I'm okay.. I just think I remembered something." His shoulders perk up, but I can tell he's trying to not to seem too hopeful.

"What did you remember?" Blood rushes to my cheeks. "So it's embarrassing?" A small smirk lifts his lips. "That could be a lot of things. It could be the time we got caught by Emery, it could be when we went to that restaurant and got a little handsy, it could even be when you took your underwear off at work." My jaw drops, horrified.

"I did not."

"Believe me, you really did. Not that I'm complaining though. It was actually pretty hot." The heat on my face gets more intense. "So what was it?"

"We were in an office. And we were kissing and you lifted me-"

"Our first kiss."

"That was our first kiss?" He nods, happiness in his features,"so I really did remember something?"

"You sure did, Sunshine." I tuck my hair behind my ear, looking out the window.

I remembered something.