fifty nine

Brendon's POV~

It's been two days since her family got here. I haven't talked to them about the moving to New York thing because of how much tension has died down. I don't want to be the one to ruin everything again.

I've taken a lot of time off of work, but I know I have to go back tomorrow. Allen has been considerate of the situation, even he's been to visit her, but I know that I still have a job to do.

I also know that I need just one more day without her family around to interrupt my time with her. I need to go alone.

Before anyone comes out of their rooms, I grab my keys and leave as fast as I can. The minute they know where I'm going, they're all going to pile in my car. I sigh out of relief as I drive away.

I've been so worried about Courtney that I haven't taken any time to really think. What happens if something goes wrong and I lose her? I don't know how I would take that, or if I could.

I try to put the negative feelings behind me as I open the doors. The tap of my shoes and quiet whispers are the only sound made through the halls. I turn the corner and speed up when I see who stands inside with Courtney. I shove the door open and Alec's head snaps in my direction.

"Get the hell out." He doesn't say anything but he smirks,"Did I fucking stutter?"

"I don't think you can decide who comes in and who goes out." I'm so angry that I can feel it like a ball in my chest.

"No, I can't. But if she was awake, she could. And you know damn well she wouldn't want you in here. You're probably one of the last people she'd want in here." I don't think I've ever wanted to hit someone more than I do right now.

"I think we both know that's not true."

"What's that supposed to mean, asshole?" I know what he means, and he knows too. But I want him to say it so I have an excuse to shove him against the wall and pound my fist into his already crooked nose.

"Oh, you don't know? She didn't tell you? We shared a very intimate moment. She told me she doesn't want to be with you, she never has. It's always been me and her and it always will be." I laugh because it's hilarious. Probably the funniest thing I've heard in weeks.

"Thanks for that, I really needed a laugh. But you can leave now." He crosses his arms.

"What are you laughing about?"

"I'm laughing because that's all bullshit, and you know it is. She told me all about your "intimate moment" and how she didn't want you to come near her ever again. You're right, she must really want you." His smirk finally fades away, replaced by a grimace.

"You don't know what you're talking about." I smile, walking closer as he backs up closer to the door.

"In fact, I do know what I'm talking about and I also happen to know that if you don't leave, you're gonna need your own room." He huffs and walks out of the room, slamming the door behind him. I kneel by Courtney's side and lay my head on the bed, holding her hand. "Sorry about that, babe."

Her hand squeezes mine and I shoot up and stare at her face closely. I wasn't completely sure if she moved last time, but now it's unmistakable.

"Courtney? Can you hear me?" I almost expect her eyes to open. I want to see her beautiful blue eyes again. Of course, they don't open, but her hand lightly squeezes mine again.

The rest of her body is so still that it almost seems like I'm imagining it for my benefit. But the way she feels alive again is too real to miss.

"God, I've missed you so much." I kiss her hand and close my eyes. "I love you." I leave it at that, letting the moment soak in. It's the first time I've really known she's listening to me. The door opening causes me to jump.

"How's she doing today?"

"She squeezed my hand." The nurse looks up from her clipboard.

"Are you sure?" I nod.

"Positive." She grins, writing it down.

"That's an amazing improvement. It means she's really fighting to communicate. Keep talking to her and she'll be awake before you know it." I smile at Courtney. "I'm going to have to ask you to step out for a while so we can run some tests."

"Of course." I hesitantly let go of her, wanting to feel her squeeze my hand one more time. "I'll be back later, love you."

I leave with a sense of confidence about her recovery. Like anyone would be, I've been terrified of losing her. But today was the first time I've actually seen her getting better. And it's the most relieving feeling.

I get to my house and fully expect them to question where I was. Even though it's not their place, they seem to always push boundaries no matter the situation.

"Did you go visit Courtney?" I set my keys on the counter and nod.

"Yeah."

"How is she?"

"She's the same." I decide to keep her improvement to myself. Like I've said before, I'm selfish when it comes to Courtney. I want to keep it to myself, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

That was our moment.