five

Emery and I talked for a bit after that. She expressed her feelings in not being able to take things to the next level with Connor given their current relationship, in friendship and in the work place.

I agreed with her; of course I did. I'll tell her anything she wants to hear as long as I don't get stuck in the middle of something I don't want to be in the middle of. Especially between my only friends I have in this place.

The day seemed to go by fast, but it was a good day. Definitely better than I expected it to be. Everything seemed to be going right as the day progressed, and for the first time in forever, I just felt good. And I'm not sure why, but I did.

So at the end of the night when Emery asked me to go out with her, I didn't even think about it. I didn't give it a second thought. She told me that we were going to a house party she heard about. I haven't been to a party in a long time. So she met me at my apartment after she changed and I changed into a red dress with black heels. I get into her car with a giddy smile on my face.

"Damn. May I just say, you look hot Ms. Covington." I laugh and smoothen out my dress.

"I could say the same for you, Ms. Williams. You're looking to get some ass, huh?" She grins and flips her hair behind her, a sense of confidence radiating off of her.

"I might be looking for a a little something." The grin she puts on doesn't reach her eyes, and I can tell exactly what's on her mind, but she'll never be willing to say what she's thinking. So, as the good friend I am, I decide to push a little bit.

"I don't want to be the buzzkill of the night.. but may that be because you want to forget a certain someone? Like.. Connor?" She rolls her eyes, an annoyed look written all over her face.

"Pft. As if. Connor is the last thing on my mind right now. Honestly, Courtney. Why would you even- that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Like.. who's Connor again?" I decide to let it slide. Even though he's obviously the first thing on her mind. I don't want to piss her off on our first night out in forever. What she does is none of my business anyways,"you act like you're not going for a little action."

"Well.. I just like my whiskey." She throws a look of pity my way because she thinks I mean I'm drinking to forget the same way she sleeps with other guys to forget. And it's something I do more often than I'm willing to admit. But tonight, I just want to have fun. And if I meet a guy along the way, so be it. I probably won't remember his name in the morning anyways.

We blast music on our way there, the windows rolled down as we scream at the top of our lungs. I laugh hysterically as adrenaline courses through my veins and I realize I haven't had this much fun in a long time. It's nice to feel like I don't have anything to worry about. I throw my cares out the window and decide that I don't need to think tonight. I'm going to be unpredictable and wild tonight. No holding back.  

We pull into the parking lot of a roaring house, one that's filled to the brim with drunk people. Colorful lights bleed through the window and I can't help but smile at the sight. I haven't seen a house party this big in forever. It's not like anybody wants a 29 year old at their house party where most of the party-goers are underage.

"Ready?" I look over at Emery, who has the same smile smeared on her face as I do.

"Ready." We walk out together side by side. My ears start to ring as we get closer to the house, and I'm not able to hear Emery anymore. I shrug my shoulders, signaling to her that I have no idea what she's saying. She makes a drink gesture with her hands and I nod. She walks off and I'm left standing there alone, my hands linked in front of me.

I decide to walk around and explore the place, getting offered drinks along the way. But I'm not dumb enough to take drinks from creepy college frat boys. I'm groped and shoved by sweaty bodies, but it doesn't bother me much.

"There you are! I thought I lost you in this mess!" I almost can't hear her, but her voice is just faint enough that I can read her lips. She hands me a red solo cup and I immediately chug it down. The liquid that had once burned the back of my throat, now dulled to a slight sting. I look around at the enormous crowd.

This is going to be a good night.

~

The next morning.

My head aches. Opening my eyes makes them feel like they're burning in hell. The only thing I notice is that I'm not in my bed. I reluctantly sit up, putting pressure onto my eyelids with the palms of my hands.

I don't even recognize the place I'm in. It's definitely not Emery's place. It's far too nice to be her house. Maybe I went home with somebody. That's probably it because I don't remember a god damn thing about last night. The only thing I remember is downing a lot of alcohol. A lot.

I sigh as I rub the bridge of my nose, already regretting things I don't remember along with this massive hangover. 

"Jesus Christ.. what the hell happened last night?" I mumble the words to myself, hoping for some memories to fade in from the black part of my memory.

"I guess I should explain." I slowly look over to the doorway at the familiar voice and there stands none other than Brendon Urie.