twelve

Emery quickly walked into my office after I was done 'talking' with Brendon. I try to compose myself as she sits across from me. But the only thing on my mind is Brendon. Specifically his lips. And his hands on my body, his kiss on my neck-

"Courtney." Emery snaps her fingers in front of my face and I pull my thoughts away from Brendon. Or at least I try to.

"Sorry, sorry. I'm-"

"Holy shit. What the hell?" She leans over and pushes my hair from my face,"Oh. My. God. You lied to me!" For only a second, confusion sets on my face. And then I realize what she's talking about.

"Oh shit. No, Emery, it's not like that. I didn't lie-"

"So you just gave yourself a hickey? Why didn't you just tell me that you went over to his house?" My head throbs and I rub my temples. Did it really show up that fast?

"I was embarrassed." She pulls a chair up next to me.

"Why are you embarrassed?" I sigh, avoiding eye contact with her.

"Because it's not like me to do crazy things like this. I don't go out and do stupid shit. I'm supposed to be the practical one." She shakes her head.

"Sometimes, you gotta let loose. But I'm also your best friend, so you gotta spill the tea next time." I laugh at her and she laughs along with me.

A few more pointless words are said before she leaves. I pinch the bridge of my nose to try and ease my headache, but at this point it's probably not possible. Emery caught me in a lie. But not the real one, of course, just the one she thought she knew.

I reach into my pocket to grab my phone, but instead find a crumpled piece of paper. I unwrap it to find scribbled words.

866-740-4531
Call me, babe ;)
-B

I blush at the use of the word 'babe'. I pull out my phone and put the number in. I bite down on the inside of my cheek as I send a text.

I'm hoping this is who I think it is.

My finger hovers over the send button and I clap a hand over my mouth as I press down onto it. I throw the phone on my desk  and fly back into my chair.

Oh god. Oh god. Dammit. Should I have waited longer? I should have waited longer. Shit. Oh my-

My phone buzzes on the table and I excitedly breathe out. I hold my breath and pick it up, the screen lighting up as I turn it around.

Miss me already? You can always come back over to my office and we can finish what we started.

A smile breaks onto my face and I try not scream. I pace around the room and try to regain control over myself. What is he doing to me?

I'll think about it.

After a few minutes, my phone buzzes again.

I'm guessing you aren't coming, then?

I have an asshole boss who never lets me work, so maybe later.

I'll make sure of that.

I put my phone on silent and shove it back into my purse. I still have work to do. I put my head into my hand and move the mouse around the screen. I don't think I've ever been so distracted in my entire life.

Within seconds, Connor bursts through my door with Emery close behind. Right as he sees me, he reaches into his pocket and hands Emery ten bucks.

"Damn. I thought you were lying." I roll my eyes and groan.

"It's not that big of a deal." They both raise their eyebrows in response.

"Not that big of a deal? I don't think you've ever told me about a booty call." I hate having over-involved friends.

"Okay, I get it." I have the feeling that they can sense I'm annoyed, so they stop and change the subject. Slightly.

"Maybe you should cover it up before the boss man sees. Don't girls carry makeup wherever they go?"

"The one day I forget my makeup... It doesn't matter anyways, we're just not the same shade." Did I mention that I hate them?

"Trust me, I don't think he'll mind." I chuckle to myself and they both suspiciously glare at me.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Mr. Urie doesn't seem like the type to get mad over little stuff like a hickey." They nod along and Emery lifts her hands up as she remembers something.

"Oh! I basically almost forgot, but what did he want to see you in his office for? It looked like he was pretty serious about whatever it was." I don't know how the hell I'm going to get myself out of this one, seeing as I can't think of any lie.

"It's something I'm not supposed to talk about." Jesus, Courtney, that's the best you can come up with?

"Don't act like you haven't said things you weren't supposed to. Just tell us." Connor folds his arms in a defensive way.

"Curiosity killed the cat, right?" I try to lighten the mood with a giggle, but they don't seem too amused. They give in with a fake laugh and a small goodbye. I could've sworn that I heard Emery say 'that hickey wasn't there before', but I let it go.

If they were so surprised by the fact that I was with a boy, they aren't going to even think about that boy being our boss. Right?

As I'm trying to work, I can almost feel my phone burning a hole into my purse. I just want to check it. He wouldn't have texted me again, would he?

Stop thinking about it so god damn much.

I'm right. If I stop thinking about it, it will go away and it will be fine. I stand up with the urgent need to eat. I open my door to reveal everyone standing in the break room. As I walk past, I feel Nina quickly follow. She doesn't say a word as I'm rummaging through the cupboards, so I turn around with a hand on my hip.

"Do you need something? Or are you just going to stand there?" She backs up a little bit at the venom in my tone.

"You should know that what I'm doing is for your own good." She pulls out a concealer, one that's too many shades darker to make it less noticeable.

"Nina. That's going to make it worse. Thanks though." She rolls her eyes, and shoves it back into her purse, storming out of the room. Brendon leans on the doorframe, an amused look dancing in his eyes,"this is your fault." I whisper to him and shove a finger into his chest.

"I see what I want and I take it." He looks me up and down and licks his lips,"and I want you." I smile at him.

"Well, Mr. Urie, I believe the ball is in my court now. And I think it might stay there for a while." He laughs and looks me in the eyes.

"We'll see about that, sweetheart."