thirty eight

The next week comes up quickly. I told Brendon that I'd immediately quit when I got back, and that's what I intend to do.

I'm honestly relieved that everything, the lies and the secrets, can finally be over. But I'm also disappointed that Emery could find out she was right the entire time. I don't think she saw Brendon and I kiss the other day, but why else would we be alone together?

Brendon and I walk into the office together. It's so hard to keep my hands off him, but that's nothing new. We send each other small glances in the elevator and when the doors open to his floor, he mouths the words "Good luck, Sunshine."

I nod and when I get into Allen's office, he greets me with a smile.

"Courtney! I hope you've-"

"I'm quitting." His eyes widen. I decide to get it over with quickly like ripping off a bandaid. I don't want to drag a conversation on about how my suspension was when it won't matter anyways.

"What do you mean?"

"You told me to take some time off for myself, and in that time I realized this isn't the best place for me right now. I love it here, but for where I am in my life and with the things I want to do, I just can't stay here." He clasps his hands and slowly nods, processing the words I threw into his face.

"Well.. no matter how much I want to, I can't refuse your resignation. If you feel like you need to leave, then I'll have to learn to live with your decision. How much longer can I have you here?" If I stay for longer than the end of the week, I'll feel obligated to stay longer. And maybe then I'll never leave.

"By the end of this week."

"Okay." I take that as a cue to leave. "Courtney?"

"Yes?"

"You're always welcome back here if you need it." I smile.

"Thank you. I appreciate it." We exchange a nod and I walk back downstairs. I want to go straight to Brendon's office, but I feel like I need to get something off my chest first.

I grind my teeth and peer into Emery's office. She sits and works on her computer. She almost looks innocent when she isn't trying to ruin my life. She looks like the person I used to know.

She glances up at me when I enter the room and we blankly stare at each other. For a moment, I forget what I came in here for.

"I quit. I hope you're finally satisfied. Now can we get over it?" She opens her mouth to talk, but closes it quickly,"I don't mean that we're friends or that we're ever going to be friends again. It's far too late for apologizing. But I want to be done dealing with you. So can you stay out of my life? It shouldn't be that hard." She shrugs, turning back to her screen. I sigh.

"I'll leave you alone if you admit to me that you've been with Mr. Urie the whole time. Tell me I was right and I'll leave you alone." I look to the side and clench my jaw.

"Really, Emery?" She leans back. "Why?"

"Because I want to know that our fights weren't pointless. That I actually had a reason to be bitchy."

"It doesn't matter what I do in my private life. You never had the right to be as bitchy as you are." She raises an eyebrow.

"Just say it." My eyes move back and forth while I mull the idea over in my head. I roll my eyes and shut the door, making sure nobody can hear us.

I didn't want to have to say anything. But what other choice do I have? I can't have her harassing me forever, and although it sucks to see her win in almost every way, it's something I have to do.