one

I needed a change.

The life I lived was toxic. The people, the town, everything I left behind. I didn't look back. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I stayed. But that was almost two years ago. I haven't talked to any of them since, I mean, they've made just as much of an effort to reach out as I have- which is just fine with me.

But sometimes I miss it.

As I lay on top of the cliff, my thoughts harass me. I hike up here sometimes to clear my mind, but most of the time it shuffles through drawers that never should have been opened.

I push myself up, the rocks digging into my palms and I gaze out over the rising sun, preparing for a new day. I squeeze my eyes shut, pulling myself out of a trance and exhale air I feel like I've been holding in for years.

As I look down on the city, I wish for something exciting. Something exhilarating. I want to take a risk. Don't I deserve to?

I turn away from the bright sun and leave my worries on the cliff.

Until next time.

I take a quick shower before getting ready for work. I work at a office called Rich Creations, which is basically a journalist company owned by Allen Rich. We write stories and submit them, also pitch ideas and whatnot for our magazine and website, but my job is editing. The fun part is that I work alongside my best friends, Connor and Emery. It's a good job. Good people, good pay, good work. What more could I ask for?

After I throw on a yellow shirt, a jean skirt, along with my brown sandals, I leave and let the door slam behind me. As soon as I turn the key to my car, Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On." blasts through the speakers and I immediately drum my fingers along to the beat and bop my head as well, letting the music take my thoughts away.

I approach the building and wildly pull into a parking spot. I pull the key out of the ignition and step out of the car, inspecting my crooked parking job. The keys cling together as I throw them into my purse.

"Good enough." I mutter to myself as I walk inside, the rustling noise of scattered voices all I can hear. I clock in as I move to the elevator, receiving dirty looks from my coworkers for being late. But I honestly couldn't give two shits.

I push the fourth floor button and patiently wait as people fill into the elevator, pushing me to the back. When the fourth floor doors open, I shove my way out and walk to my small office.

The fourth floor has four offices in the back where Connor, Emery and Nina are. Then there's a conference room, a break room and a manager office . I usually just eat in my office in order to avoid Nina.

Because Nina decided that being a brown-nosed bitch paid better than being a journalist. But I'd never say that to her face. If I'm being completely honest, she terrifies me. Not in the way where I wouldn't want to punch her, but in the way that I think she might actually be psycho.

"Oh, Courtney! It's about time you got here. I thought you got eaten alive by a coyote." Connor says with mock relief on his face. He holds a hand to his heart and sighs.

"Ha-ha. Very funny." I put my purse behind my desk in a drawer.

Emery looks at me and wiggles her eyebrows, bumping her shoulder into Connor's,"Or maybe you finally found a man and stayed the night, huh? Was the walk of shame as shameful as they say?" I shake my head at her, not saying a word as a smile pulls at my lips. Connor makes a disgusted face and walks away, practically yelling with a finger pointed in the air.

"I won't be a part of this!" Connor was always a handsome guy. Kinda scrawny, but has nice sandy blonde hair and hazel eyes leaning more towards the color of green.