Chapter Fourty-Five

Ivar's POV

"You've ruined everything!" I heard the Seer scream inside my head. "You were destined to be with Halfrid The Fearless! You've ruined both your destinies long ago!"

"She might be mine now, Ivar." I heard Hvitserk say slyly.

I'm shown Halfrid in a hut with Hvitserk, he gently pressed his lips against hers. I see a flash of her kissing me. So many scenes flash by, it was torn between her smiling at me and smiling at Hvitserk. Both our fates were being rewritten. Nothing was certain anymore.

I see Thora growing up with her uncle acting as her father and then a parallel with me there for her.

"Halfrid The Fearless and Thora The Victorious" The seer smirked. "You may get to know them. Or Hvitserk will instead."

I woke up in a cold sweat. I was left with more questions. Is my journey with Halfrid not done yet?

Halfrid's POV

The snow melted away so fast, I almost could believe it when I saw fresh grass growing. Thora was going to see spring for the first time. I imagined her learning how to walk in a meadow.

She was crawling around, which meant I had to keep a closer eye on her.

I often cried at night or when no one was around. I was a broken woman. Bjorn arrived to Kattegat and hoped to soon become King. I hoped Hvitserk was alive and with him. I hoped all the brothers were safe. Perhaps Bjorn would help bring my husband back to me, but I didn't get my hopes up.

"I can watch Thora, could you go to the market and get some lamb?" Mother asked softly.

I have been distant lately and unable to say much. My mind was scattered and I was often thinking of Ivar, the boy I fell in love with.

I nodded my head and I grabbed my warm cloak and basket. I knew she wanted me to keep busy. But I feared I'd break into tears at a crystal necklace the color of Ivar's eyes.

I was quick to go see the butcher. He gave me a soft grin. Word traveled fast that Ivar had cheated on me. Some wonder what I did wrong, and I wondered as well, but then I remembered that I didn't owe a man anything. I should have been enough if he loved me.

I bought some lamb and as I predicted, I saw the jewelry and thought about my bracelet I gave Ivar when he was traveling to England with his father. I remembered how heartbroken I was. But he came back in one piece with my bracelet still around his wrist.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turn to see a stranger trying to shield his face with his cloak.

"Halfrid?" He asked in a low voice. "Halfrid the Fearless?"

"Yes?" I asked curiously.

"Hvitserk sent me." The man said.

I was so relieved but also worried this was Ivar's doing.

"Prove it." I demanded.

"He demands that you leave Kattegat. He is attacking with Bjorn. He wants you and your family to flee. He needs you to go to your uncle's cabin."

Hvitserk went over our plan and we've settled on my uncles cabin before going to another city.

"I-Is he attacking soon?" I asked in a low tone.