Chapter Nineteen: End Of The Battle

Blood rained from the sky, covering our bodies. I wasnt sure if it was my blood or my enemies. My arms felt like hammers as I sliced into men easily. The look of terror was prominent on their faces as a small woman brought them to their end.

I noticed a shield maiden's head laying on the muddy ground, it only brought me great anger and joy to make more Englishmen bleed.

The Englishmen ran for their lives. The Norsemen cheered and hugged.

Bjorn looked over at his happy brothers. "What are you so happy about? It is not over yet."

He was right, we had a kingdom to pillage and claim as ours. We marched towards the fortress they called wessex. We charged in to find it when more quiet. We cautiously looked around the kingdom. I kept my sword drawn.

It was left empty for us to take. Reckless men caught everything on fire, mainly all Englishmen documents. I couldn't help but take pretty items for mother, like silverware and jewelry. Hvitserk smiled at me as I noticed a pretty gown.

"Would it be okay to take this?" I asked him curiously.

He felt the dress and smiled. "It would be wrong to not take advantage of every opportunity."

I smiled giddily and grabbed the dress from the wardrobe. It would be too long on me, but nothing I couldn't fix. I put everything I wanted into a cloth bag. I could feel Hvitserk's eyes on me.

As I exited the building I notice Bjorn sitting alone outside while we caught the place ablaze. I approached him and he gave me a faint smile.

"We did it, you should be smiling." I told him.

"This isnt over until I say so, Halfrid." He replied sternly.

I weakly nodded my head. I heard murmurs behind me. I turned around to see an old man coming towards us. Several men held him in place with their swords.

Bjorn approached the man. "This is King Ecbert! I order you to spare him." I was shocked by the words that escaped Bjorn's lips.

He quickly escorted the king with his brothers by his side, they would have a private meeting over the matter of the king.

I approach Calder who was covered in blood and cinder. "My dear brother, look at these pretty things!" I eagerly showed him the dress and the jewelry.

He smiled down at me. "I forget you are a regular girl."

"I am not regular." I corrected.

He gave me a stern look. He wanted to say something serious. "There are things I've been told, Halfrid. I need to know if they are true." I hesitantly nod my head. "Are you sleeping with Ivar?"

"No!" I screeched. "We only kissed, brother."

"Do you plan to have a future with him?"

"My future is to be a fierce warrior. I can't allow anything to get in my way." I replied sternly.

"You can be fierce and also love, Halfrid."

"Not as a woman." I replied. "I will have to have a family and be a housewife. I do not want to be a housewife, I want to fight."

"But you are not a regular woman." He said with a smirk before walking away.

I watched as Floki carried Helga in his arms. I felt a stake go through my heart as I watched him walking through the gates. I fell to my knees. I couldn't believe it. Helga. Helga was dead. She was always so kind to me, to Ivar. It wasnt her time. Why would the gods want her now? Why?