Chapter Thirteen:

Ubbe's rulers from other places came and joined us for a feast.

A young man gave Lagertha a sword as a present. Sigurd played a lute with a couple of other men.

I eventually spot Ubbe hand Ivar a cup of ale. They cling cups before Ubbe approached Margrethe.

I sit next Ivar. He seemed pretty annoyed to see me. "Sigurd tried to talk me into letting you go." He told me as he drank from his cup.

"And?" I asked.

"You can go. But you'll be doing everything I say."

I squealed loudly, causing people to look over at me. I wrapped my arms around Ivar and planted a kiss on his cheek.

I thought he'd be angry but he just smiled at me. "I'm just happy to go!" I told him.

We spoke for a little while but then I noticed something odd. Two men closed the hall doors. I stood up to try and get a better look.

"What are you doing?" Ivar asked me.

"Something is wrong." I said.

Simultaneously certain men pulled out swords and pulled them on guards and certain guests.

A man grabbed me by my hair and pressed their knife against my throat. I noticed there was a perfect clearing to Lagertha. Ivar and Ubbe approach Lagertha on the throne. They pull out their weapons and she grabbed her gift.

They were about to fight when the doors burst open. It was Bjorn and behind him was my brother Calder.

"If you kill her, my brothers, you'll have to kill me too." Bjorn told his two brothers.

"Maybe we should." Ivar replied.

"Shut up." Ubbe demanded. "She killed our mother."

"I know." Bjorn shrugged. "You want revenge, so would I. But more importantly, we have to avenge our father. That is why I came back and that is what we are going to do."

Lagertha let her sword hit the ground. The boys do too and soon the grip on me loosened. Ivar grunted angrily before leaving.

Soon the party comes back alive and mother ran for Calder, pulling him tight in a hug. She was nearly to tears.

I quickly joined her and hugged my brother I missed so much.

He grabbed my face and analyzed me. "Halfrid, you look so different. You look more like a warrior."

I smiled big. "I am being trained, Calder. Soon I'll be just like you."

He smiles big and kisses the top of my head.

"Where is your father?" Mother asked.

"Coming, he expected Halfrid to be at home. He'll be shocked to find you here." Calder has me hop on his back like when I was younger and the three of us go meet father. He was walking up the street when we spotted him.

He instantly stopped in his tracks and mother ran into his arms, kissing him happily.

Calder let me down and run to father as well.

Before I could wrap my arms around my father he stopped me and held me back to get a look at me.

"You look more like a woman, Halfrid." He said. "We can't have that." He let a smirk upon his lips. He pulled me close and kissed my head.

"She's being trained." Mother told him.

"Trained? Ingrid, you are allowing our daughter to become a shield maiden?" I could hear Father's voice shake with anger.

Mother grabbed his arm softly. "She's not what you think she is." She looked quickly over at Calder. "She's strong, my love. She killed a wolf with her bare hands."

"Is this true?" Calder asked me.

I lifted up my skirt to show the scars on my ankle. "We ate it for supper."

The men laugh happily.

"I always knew the gods chose you for something great." Father said softly. "Even though I didn't want to listen."

"Father I am going with Ragnarssons to England." I told him.

"This is news to me. Halfrid, you can only go if one of us joins you." Mother told me

"You can fight along side me, Halfrid." Calder said smiling.

Mother's face deflated. I knew she didn't want me to go, but I wanted to go so badly.