Chapter Twenty-Six

I was starting to grow even more nervous, another battle was on its way and I didn't know what the outcome would be. I just knew blood would stain the fields of our beloved home.

I remember the girl I used to be, and the woman I had become. I wasn't sure if I was satisfied with the choices I've made. I turned on my mother and Lagertha. I remember my mother slapping me in the face for refusing to marry of her choosing. I remember the taste of blood in my mouth. I remember the fire in my chest when Lagertha called me a whore. I was her warrior, but I wasn't treated like it.

Did I make the right choices? Or should I have stayed home in my mom's warm arms. I still remember her believing I was born to fight. I remember the pride, but I also remember the hatred.

Blood is thicker than water… but so is lard. I suppose I needed to think of what I wanted, what I needed.

I was nervous to see the village's seer, but I gathered up all my strength to walk into the dark hut that smelled of blood and smoke. There were skeletons of small creatures all over, along with glass jars of what could of been remedies.

"What an honor it is." A shrill woman's voice said coming to a small damp table by the door. She was an old woman with milky eyes. Her hair was white and long. She felt around for the table and gave me an ugly smile.

I tried to smile back, even if she couldn't see it. "Hello..." I greeted awkwardly. "I'm-"

"I know who you are, the great Halfrid The Fearless." She let a dark laugh escape her lips. "The gods and Englishmen speak of you. The small killer." She gestures to the seat in front of me. "Please sit."

I sat down and she slowly plomped herself into the seat in front of me.

"To be honest, I don't know why I am here." I sighed.

"I do." She smirked. "You aren't sure if you made the right choices in life and now you are pregnant with the most feared man in this world's child. The gods had this all destined. Oh how Aslaug was not happy."

"She came to you?" I asked, puzzled.

"No, but I know she asked the gods for advice. She didn't like the gods having plans for you and Ivar. She saw you as inferior, you would never be good enough." She laughed again. "The bitch is now the grandmother of your child."

"No matter what I do, I was destined to be right here?"

"No matter what, you were fated to be by Ivar's side, be the mother of his children, be his lover and best friend. You were the perfect match."

"I want to be seen more than some man's wife." I growled.

"This gives you power, child. You must be wicked to be by Ivar's side, he wouldn't love a weak, useless woman. You are going to be known and be feared."

"I am not wicked." I protested.

"You are wicked to the right people."

I shifted in my seat. "How do you know I am with child?"

She laughed again. "Stupid question! Obviously I know! The gods are so pleased!"

"What would have happened if I stayed home?"

"You never would have and you know it. You are meant to be here, you were meant to be the person you are at this very moment."

"Can you tell me anything about the being in my stomach?" I asked in a small voice. "Will I be able to have others?"

"You will struggle, just like your mother. You already expected it." She said plainly. "But unlike your mother, you will struggle to produce sons."