Chapter Twenty-Eight

We gathered the wounded and who we could carry into the boats. We tried to fix the ones we could as we made it back to Harald's kingdom. Many collect their dead or wounded. Blood on the ground no longer belonged to whales.

I joined Ivar, Harald and Hvitserk. I sat down beside Hvitserk. He was occupied with his drink.

"You were too clever for your own good, Ivar. We had the advantage and we lost." Harald told Ivar.

"As I remember, you approved the plan." He said while laying on the bench.

"Up until that moment, you proved yourself a good tactician. I believed in you. I might not be so quick to endorse your plans next time."

"You do as you see fit, King Harald." Ivar seemed distant, too busy on his thoughts.

I could see Hvitserk grinning. "Ivar, Uncle Rollo once told me on his ship on our way back from the Mediterranean, he said that if I ever needed his support, all I had to do was ask."

"What do you think? Do you want the Franks to help us?" Harald asked.

"I think you ought to leave at first light tomorrow."

Hvitserk got up as quickly as possible and runs out of the hall.

We didn't see him that night. He was gone packing for the voyage. He was giddy like a child.

I accidentally walked in on Ivar having a bath in a giant metal bin.

Harald gave him servants to help him, in this case, they poured warm water into his tub.

Ivar looked up at me and gave me a weak smile.

"Halfrid!" He greeted. I sat down on a bench, close by him. He waved his hand and the servants left. "Why are you upset? You have barely said two words on our way back. You refuse to let me touch you."

I couldn't help but start to cry. I ran over to Ivar and kneeled down to put my face against his chest. He was startled at first but stroked my hair.

"My mother doesn't love me anymore!" I sobbed.

He wrapped his arms around me. "She loves you dearly, it's me she does not like."

I shook my head. "She called me the shell of her daughter. I know I disobeyed her. But how can she not love me, I am hers. I am hers!"

Ivar pushed me back for me to look him in the eye. He moved my hair out of my face. "It is alright, when this is all over, she will know that you are the same girl as before. She will treat you with love and respect. She will love you and the child you bring into this world."

I pressed my lips against his. "I want her to know I love her, even though she put me through things I can not forgive."

"Do not worry, this quarrel between you two will not last. You know how protective she is. She cant be mad at you forever."

I nodded my head and gave him a peck on the lips.

Ivar continued to hold my hand. I thought of something else that troubled me. "Ivar, it is out in the open that I am pregnant. Has Harald said anything?"

He let go of my hand and started to wash the dirt from his skin. "That was a concern, but I have it in his head that our child may get sick one day and die."

"Ivar that's horrible!" I screeched.

"I dont mean it, Halfrid. Don't fret over this. I promise I'll protect you both." He said with a smirk.

"You may not mean it, but Harald means every word he says." I stated before getting up and leaving.

It was a week later when Hvitserk returned with Frankish soldiers to our aid. Many, many soldiers poured in with their boats.