Chapter Twenty:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sigurd laying on the boat, covered with his trinkets.

I looked over at Ivar who had tears in his eyes and guilt on his face. His brothers were angry, but they weren't there when he was crying into the crook of my neck.

I rested my hand on his shoulder and he placed his over mine and gave me a soft squeeze.

I let the boys drink and chat amongst themselves after the funeral. I entered my tent where my brother and father sat, drinking their sorrows.

"What do you plan to do?" I asked them.

"I'm leaving with Bjorn." Calder said softly.

"I will stay here." Father said. "I have to watch over you."

"I dont need protection." I stated.

"After what Ivar did, I cant leave you alone with him."

I knew there was no protesting. I nodded my head and helped my brother pack for his long voyage

My father didn't seem happy to see Calder leave, but he understood he was old enough to make his own decisions. Hvitserk and Ubbe stayed behind with Ivar. They seemed discontant to see their older brother leave.

It wasnt long after when Floki started packing his one man boat. It broke my heart to see him leave too. Ivar needed him.

"You were planning to leave without telling us, Floki, huh?" Ubbe shouted over the ocean.

"I wanted to spare you the trouble of trying to stop me." Floki responded.

"But we will anyway."

"And you can't. So let us just say farewell properly instead."

"Where are you going?" Hvitserk asked.

"Wherever the gods will take me. But as long as I live and breathe, you, the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok, will always be close to my heart." Floki approaches the two boys.

"Farewell, Floki. You are the greatest boat builder of all time." Ubbe told him.

"Farewell, Floki. Beloved by the gods." Hvitserk smirked as he hugged him goodbye.

He stopped in front of me. And I pulled him into a tight hug. "You will be greatly missed." I kissed his cheek goodbye and he gave me a weak grin.

"You knock-kneed fool. Stay. We need you just as much as our father needed you, but instead you choose to run away, you coward." Ivar said roughly.

"Stand up and say that to my face!" Floki replied snidely. The two smile at each other before he got in his boat.

"Is it true he has completely committed himself to the sea?" Ubbe asked.

"Do not worry. I have given him the means to guide himself. We do not want him to be lost." Ivar replied.

"All hail Floki!" All the norsemen cheered as Floki paddled away. I couldn't help catch a tear as it fell down my face.

I went to my tent and laid on my bed and cried for my brother and for Floki. I had a feeling I'd never see one of them again.

I felt an arm wrap around my torso. I looked up to see Ivar trying to comfort me.

"Why must everyone leave?" I cried.

He didnt know how to answer, instead he kissed my head and pulled me closer to him.

The next day I tried to occupy myself with a bath. There was a pond not far that I could use to wash up. I looked around to make sure no one was near and I quickly stripped my dress and armor and slid into the cold water. My breath shook as the icy water surrounded my body.