Chapter Twenty-Four

I was happy to see a place that resembled my home. I could hear the horns blow as our boats arrived closer to the shore.

I followed Ivar and Hvitserk into the great hall, where King Harald and... Astrid sat.

"Ivar and Hvitserk Lothbrok. Why did you not return to Kattegat?" Harald asked the brothers, over looking my arrival.

"You don't need the Seer to know that Ubbe and I fell out. We disagreed about many things. But in the end, Hvitserk agreed with me, and Ubbe sailed alone to Kattegat, and that is why we're here." Ivar explained.

"A good choice. A good choice. Surely you both remember Astrid? She's my queen now." Harald said gesturing to his newly bride.

"I am happy for both of you." Ivar replied politely.

"Oh, thank you, Ivar." Astrid said. It sounded slightly condescending. "I see you brought Halfrid, it's nice to see you again."

I gave her a brief smile as a response. I didn't trust her.

"So, do I understand that you and your warriors will support me when I attack Kattegat?" Harald asked Ivar and Hvitserk.

"Straight to it. I like it. Yes, we will." Ivar replied with a smile.

"But only if Ivar is made king." Hvitserk injected. His words caused tingles to run down my spine. I couldn't imagine being queen. It sounded awful.

"You know that I have my own plans for that kingdom." Harald stated.

"Of course, of course." Ivar responded. "And that is why we are here. What I think my dear brother is trying to say is that in the long term, what is to stop you from ruling Kattegat when I am dead and gone? How long can that be? I'm not a healthy person. I'm a cripple."

"But your brother Hvitserk?" He questioned.

"All that matters to the both of us is to reclaim the kingdom that was torn from us by that murderous bitch, Lagertha. We want to be in an alliance with you, to make that happen. And soon."

"You have a prisoner. I have heard of this man. Where is he?"

"Bring the Christian!" Ivar commanded. Two men came in with the Bishop and aggressively moved him in front of the king. "On his knees." The men throw the prisoner to the ground. "Bishop Heahmund."

"What's the point of him? Why don't you just kill him?" Harald questioned curiously.

Ivar smirked. "Because he is a great warrior. I've seen how he fights with my own eyes. And I admire great warriors." His eyes briefly flickered towards me.

"He will fight for us?"

"Maybe. If he doesn't want to get crucified."

The Bishop tries to say something in native tongue, but Ivar stops him by pulling his head back in a threatening manner.

"No, no, no. Let him continue."  The Bishop continues to speak in a language King Harald couldn't understand. "What did he say?"

"Ah, he's praying to his god." Ivar lied while shrugging his shoulders.

"A fat lot of good that will do him." Harald grunted. They chuckled. "I'll give you a place to keep him, along with rooms for you men to stay in."

"Thank you, King Harald." Hvitserk replied gratefully.

Harald nodded his head and allowed us to leave. Ivar was given a decent room. I decided to take advantage of the perks Ivar was given. I walked into his hut and sat my armor down, along with my weapons. The heavy weight lifted off my shoulders felt nice.