Chapter Ten:

**Ingrid's POV**

I was called to join Queen Lagertha for lunch. I approached her table, and smiled at her fondly.

"Sit." She said gesturing to a seat beside her.

I listen and do as I'm told. I felt my heart beat with anticipation. I was anxious to hear what the queen had to say.

Lagertha looked at me softly. "I wanted to talk about your daughter, Halfrid."

I started to panic- what had she done now?

"Your majesty, did she do something wrong? I'll have her punished!" I told her sternly.

"Do not worry, Ingrid." Lagertha said with a grin. "She is not in trouble. I am just surprised that you haven't arranged her to be married. She spends too much time with Ragnar's sons, perhaps you should make her spend time with suitable warriors. I know a young gentleman that might be perfect for her. It'd definitely be a blessing for her to spend less time with Ivar."

"It would be wonderful for her to spend less time with Ivar. But it just doesn't seem possible, she's stubborn like her father and she has never been interested in marrying. I've tried!" I sighed.

"Perhaps a Queens opinion would change her mind." She said, sticking her nose in the air.

"That's kind of you, but-"

"Its settled, I'll talk to Halfrid."

"I-"

"I can talk to her. It'd be lovely to see her with a man more like Bjorn."

Torvi perked up in her chair. "Oh yes. Halfrid deserves a man like Bjorn."

I knew Halfrid better than the Queen and Torvi, and I knew she wouldn't really take in any opinion other than her own. She was one of a kind.

I loved Halfrid so much, but she is just so damn difficult. I just wish she listened to adult wisdom other than that cripple! Why she even wasted her time on him, I don't know. I prefer her with Hvitserk over Ivar.

I smiled at the queen and Torvi and nodded my head. I was stressed all morning and decided to talk to the seer. He motioned me to sit.

I did. Before I could say anything he turned to face me.

"Is Halfrid poisoning your mind?" He asked.

"I just need to know if I'm doing the right thing for her." I replied.

"Either way her fate is fixed." He said dryly.

"What do you mean by fixed?" I asked worriedly.

"The very moment she met Ivar The Boneless she was meant to be by his side. She is not who you think she is, Ingrid. She's strong, stronger than you, stronger than the Queen."

"I don't accept that."

"Your acceptance doesn't make it false."

"How can I change her fate?"

"You can't."

"You clearly don't know me then." I growled.

**Halfrid's POV**

I spent my moment of leisure to lay on my bed and do absolutely nothing. It felt great. My arms ached from swinging an iron sword around all day long.

I heard a soft knock on my door and I groaned, it was probably my mother wanting to nag at me.

I open my door to be surprised by Queen Lagertha.