Chapter Thirty-Nine

Freydis's POV

I couldn't stand to see that half-breed with King Ivar. I couldn't understand why a powerful god like Ivar could love such a being. She wasn't one of us. Her skin made that clear.

She was nothing more than a savage. How could Ivar not see that he belonged with someone like him, someone like me. I could make him way happier and I could make all of Kattegat fall in love with him.

I supported him, Halfrid did not. You could tell she was unhappy, but Ivar is blind to it because he loves her so much. She's going to betray him, I just know it.

I hated to see him happy because of some bitch who doesn't feel the same. I needed to come up with a plan, I had to make sure Thora never becomes an heir to the throne and instead it would be my child. I need Ivar to hate Halfrid and to kill her. How could I persuade him to kill her?

I needed a believable plan, a plan that makes that half-breed look bad. She's loved by the people, but that will soon all change.

I knew what I had to do. I watched as a great warrior (that was known to not agree with Ivar) practice combat. His name was Alvid and he had similar striking eyes as Ivar.

Halfrid's POV

I couldn't look Hvitserk in the eye, I regretted what I did so much. I regretted it because I kind of liked his attention. He hadn't hurt anyone, he was kind and it was a change. But I loved Ivar more and I couldn't believe I did the one thing I swore would never happen. I am a monster, I am a terrible person. I couldn't live with myself. I was so guilty.

I went for a small walk and a warrior I knew of, Alvid approached me.

"Queen Halfrid, I heard you've been training again. Does that mean you are going to England with us?" He asked curiously.

"Yes. I will be joining along with Thora." I replied with a polite smile.

I've known of Alvid through Sigurd, he was a long time friend of his. I know he never forgave Ivar for killing his friend and I couldn't blame him.

"Perhaps we can train together some time. It'd be an honor." He put a hand over his heart to show his sincerity.

I started to blush. "It isn't an honor, trust me."

"Come on, you're Halfrid The Fearless. You're famous for your fighting skills on the battlefield."

I was convinced to train with Alvid. He was gentle with me, which I didn't  like. I wanted him to treat me like a man. He was startled by the strength I had as I striked my sword. I was small but fierce and I made sure he knew that I was no gentle being.

At the feast I noticed Alvid's glances my way and so did Ivar. He tightened his grip on my hand and felt protective. He leaned in closer to me which Thora took as an opening to kiss her father, drooling all over his face. Ivar couldn't help but chuckle and place our daughter on his lap.

When she was distracted by her rattle, Ivar leaned close to my face. "I don't like Alvid's eyes on you."

"I think he's just drunk." I shrugged. Men always looked like they were flirting when they were drunk and filled with confidence. "I wouldn't be concerned."

I spoke too soon and Alvid walked up to our throne, he clearly had a buzz from his drink. "King Ivar, your wife has one hell of an arm."

Ivar's eyes widened. "Excuse me?" His voice was dangerously low.

"We practiced combat today." I addressed quickly before Ivar bursted a vein.

He instantly relaxed in his seat. "Oh yeah, Halfrid is a great fighter. But a way better lover." He smirked down at me like a hungry wolf. I nudged his shoulder as my cheeks burned red.