Chapter Seventeen:

**Calder's POV**

After we strung up King Aelle, we sat around a fire. Sigurd occasionally glanced over at me. I wondered what was plaguing his mind. Ivar had a fixed furious glare as he stared into the fire.

"Halfrid did quite well today." Sigurd finally said. Bjorn and Hvitserk looked over at him.

"Yes, yes she did. Mother will be proud." I replied.

"I want to marry her." Sigurd blurted out.

Bjorn scoffed and Hvitserk smirked. Ubbe approached the conversation with a stern look while Ivar snickered.

"But she doesn't want to marry you." Ubbe stated.

"She doesn't know what she wants. I could treat her better than Ivar could." Sigurd blurted out.

"No woman in their right mind would ever want you to lie beside them." Ivar injected. "You are better off marrying a goat."

"And you are better? At least I can please her." Sigurd jabbed.

Ivar went to grab his axe but Ubbe physically stopped him. "Perhaps her brother would like to speak." Ubbe stated.

I didn't know what to say. I know father wanted one of ragnarssons to marry Halfrid, but what did she want? She spends time with Ivar, surely she'd choose him, and it comforts me to know he cant have sex with her. Sigurd seems too controlling and may not listen to her, I want someone to see her as an equal and see her for who she is and not who they want her to be.

"You should speak to father and more importantly, Halfrid. She should be able to choose her husband while my father should approve the husband." I said firmly. I looked over at Sigurd. "I dont appreciate what you tried to do to my sister and for the words you called her. You dont deserve to have her hand in marriage."

His face turned red with anger while Ivar smirked darkly.

"I think Calder is right. You should be putting it up with her if you want to marry her. Shes too strong-willed to allow her family to choose her husband for her." Bjorn spoke up.

"Let me prove I could be a great husband." Sigurd begged.

"You will have to prove yourself to Halfrid." I told him.

**Ivar's POV**

Later that night I laid down to fall asleep, and it swallowed me whole, taking me to my escape.

I was back home in my old fortress. I was in my bedroom with Halfrid. She was staring at me with a loving smile while I standing in front of her on my two legs, holding her sides. She cupped my face kindly.

I had an urge to kiss her, I wanted to do unspeakable things to her. She leaned in and started to kiss me, making me crave more.

I kissed her back and wrapped my arms around her to reach for the strings in the back of her dress. I undone her dress, allowing it to slip down. She pulled away nervously.

"Dont you trust me? I wont hurt you." I told her softly.

"Okay." She replied, allowing her dress to fall off her body.

She laid on my bed and I pulled off my bottoms and climbed on top of her.

I felt instant euphoria. It was something I didn't feel with Margrethe. I so badly wanted to have sex with her, but it wouldn't work, but this time with Halfrid in my dream, it did.