Chapter Thirty-Eight

The months started to fly by and my little one was able to sleep through the night and show off more of a personality. She played with rattles and toys of all kinds.

I was able to train again. She would sit with Berit and watch or I would train while she was napping.

After a prolonged training session I scoop up my little girl who was reaching up for me from Berit's lap. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck.

She had drool dripping down her tunic. I use my sleeve to wipe her mouth. She only spits more and blows raspberries, her favorite thing to do.

I spotted Ivar watching from a close distance. We have been trying to fix our relationship and Ivar has tried his best to make me happy. He was hurting just at the thought of me leaving. He desperately was trying to hold onto me.

I walked over to her father. He greeted me with a kiss on my heated cheek.

"You fight like you haven't took a year off." Ivar stated proudly.

"I like to think fighting is just in my blood and will be in Thora's." I replied with a weak grin.

"I've just received some news, Halfrid." He said in a more serious tone.

"Which is?" I asked curiously.

"King Harald was defeated by the Saxons with the help of Ubbe, Bjorn, and Lagertha."

"So you admit Lagertha wasn't sacrificed." I muttered, he responded to my comment with a brief glare. "But this is interesting news. Did Harald survive?"

"Yes, he went to York. I think we should go back to England. I played chess with King Alfred, I'd like to play against him again but on the battlefield." Ivar had determination in his eyes.

"What? But we just got back and now we have a child. Do you just expect me to be a housewife and stay back with our daughter?" I questioned bitterly.

"Bring her along." Ivar shrugged.

"Its too cold, Ivar. Especially this time of year. The wind on the ocean may kill her." He rolled his eyes as if I was being over dramatic. "You don't ever think about your family because you are a man and men do not have to think of their children, right? Because it is a woman's job to care for the family."

"I think about our family, Halfrid!" He protested.

"Do you? Prove it." I demanded.

He huffed out of defeat. "We'll leave in the spring, that way it will be warmer and safer travels for Thora."

"Thank you." I replied softly.

He gave me a kiss on the lips and he lightly stroked my cheek. I could see in his eyes how much he loved me and missed his wife. Thora cut our gaze short by smacking her father in the face.

He looked at her and narrowed his eyes, which she loved. She giggled at him. "Do you want to fight?" He asked her. He gently pretended to punch her chubby belly where she let out a loud squeal. She tried to put her father's hand in her tiny mouth, getting it all slobbery. "You defeated me by your strong tactics." He pulled his hand away and wiped it on his pants.

"Like I said, fighting is in her blood." I smirked.

We entered the warm great hall. Thora started to open her mouth and slobber on my chest.

"I think she's hungry, perhaps you should take your top off." Ivar smirked cheekily.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I'm going to go feed her, perhaps you could get some work done instead of staring at my chest."