Chapter Fifteen:

So many people cane to avenge Ragnar's death. It was amazing to see the thousands of boats coming into the harbor.

I watched in awe as they join us. I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was my father. He had a smile on his face. I could tell he was eager to leave.

"Soon you'll be in your first battle. Are you nervous?" He asked me.

"Yes, my stomach hurts!" I admitted. He chuckled. "But I am also excited. I will not disappoint you father."

"I know you won't, Halfrid." He replied before walking away.

Later on that morning I went to the market to buy myself new armor. I got a breastplate made of braided leather with steel plates embedded within it. It was just the right weight for me. I also sharpened my blades.

I felt someone approach behind me. I turned around to see Ivar crawling up the stool beside me. He had a happy smile on his face.

"You almost ready?" He asked me.

"Yes, are you?"

He shrugged. "I think so."

"Are you nervous?" I asked him.

"Never,"

"I don't believe you." I said dryly.

"I was trying to find you to ask you something." He said looking down at his hands.

"What?" I asked focusing on sharpening my favorite sword, it was light weight but it's blade was fatal.

"Ubbe and Margrethe are getting married. Would you like to join the ceremony?"

I smile down at my work. "Yes, I would."

"Good," he replied nonchalantly.

He crawled away and left me in the blacksmithing hut.

When I got back home I washed up for the wedding. I put on one of my cleaner dresses. Calder came into the hut in his nice clothes too.

"Are you going to the wedding?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"We should go then, we don't want to be late."

I nodded my head and followed him out the door. When we made it to the ceremony I joined Ivar's side. A few people came.

"Who gives this woman away to her new husband?" The woman marrying the couple asked.

"I do." Hvitserk said stepping forward.

The woman grabbed the bloody rings  which are given to Margrethe and Ubbe. They slip each one on each other's finger.

"And so I name you man and wife. And may the gods bless you, and give you children, and may they keep the wolf from the door." The woman said. The couple kisses and the crowd cheers for them.

"Very good! And now, the bridal race!" Someone hollered.

Ubbe and Hvitserk started race each other, they ran like mad men, pushing through people and trying to be the first to finish their drink. They follow along the obstacle course where Ubbe finishes first. Everyone claps happily.

We go back to their cabin where the loser serves us a feast.

I sat beside Calder, perfectly across from Ivar. He whistles at Hvitserk to get his attention. "Come here boy, my horn is empty"

"Mine too" Sigurd added as he pours his drink over his shoulder.

Hvitserk filled Ivar's before walking over to Margrethe.

Everyone laughs at Hvitserk the entire feast. Until a man wanted to pick on me.

"What is a child doing here?" He asked.

"Watch it Bjarke. Her bite hurts more than you think." Ubbe warned.

"She's more like a little puppy dog." Bjarke laughed.

"How many wolves have you killed with your bare hands,  Bjarke?" I asked curiously.

"No man can." He scoffed.

"But a woman can." I replied darkly. "I killed a wolf as easily as it is to snap a twig. Imagine what I can do to you."

He laughed nervously and looked at the others faces. Each one had a smirk.

"Don't mess with her, Bjarke. You won't win a fight." Hvitserk told him.

I couldn't help but feel sort of powerful.

As soon as I made it home, I fell asleep. I was tired out from the day. But I'd only be worse the next day.

I would have to face a human sacrifice for our battle in England.

I woke up to the sunshine in my eyes and the sound of eggs sizzling on the fire. As I got up to join everyone for breakfast, my mother had a warm smile on her face.

"Good morning, Halfrid. I'd like you to try on this pelted cloak I made for you after breakfast." She said as she flopped an egg on a plate and gestured her head towards it.

I sat down at the table where father had his plate stacked with last night's dinner. He ate enough food for a village.

"Yes, mother." I replied.

"I can't believe my whole family is leaving to England. Dagfinn, promise to keep our daughter out of harms way." Mother begged.

Father looked up at her with grease in his beard. "Do not worry, my wife. The gods will not let anything happen to us."

She hesitated, but nodded her head. She quickly grabbed the cloak and had me put it on. It warmed me right up.

"This is perfect, mother!" I squealed. "I'll be nice and warm on the voyage and in England."

"I hope so." She replied weakly.

I could tell she was extremely worried. I looked down at my hands. I wished there was something I could do to help her. I just hoped she believed in me